Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Vick, his dogs, his broken career, his looming 40 years in jail, etc.

Isn't this Vick dog fighting thing a bit overboard?! Before this case made indignation so popular, among pet owners especially, I would have guessed that if one staged a dog fight the neighbors could get seriously PO'd, and even bring about a 'Disturbing the peace' conviction, but 40 years in jail, and the ruination of a promising NFL career and universal shame?! Before this is over Vick is gonna get dragged by a pickup till his eyeballs drop out, and then given a public flogging.


In short it's over-kill, false piety, and racist.


What say you America!


Barry



After Thought #1


I've since writing this entry received an email giving details of the killing of dogs.  Butchering (my word) dogs cannot be tolerated, that's for sure. So I must back off from my former position. Added to that the high stakes gambling element and you have a sticky wicket. What climate allows that to happen?


BB3
 


AFTER THOUGHT #2


I dunno, #1 was posted out of respect for the love of dogs expressed indirectly by the email sender. Dogs are grand, and I've always loved them, even a Bull Terrier named Tyson (ha ha ha) I still own, now in the care of my friend in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca.


But dogs are not people. Killing a dog must have a lesser penalty than killing a human being. It is insane, in an age when second degree murder of a human being can bring only 15 years in jail, while Vick is having dangled before him endless penalties. It's racism RACISM clear and simple-minded.


Barry


http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that you have raised valid points. I don't like the idea of animals being abused and I think that dog fighting should be against the law. However, as a native southerher, I can say with absolute certainty that when dog fighting groups are busted, the punishment is not of the serious nature faced by Michael Vick. Another popular underground sport is cockfighting, as equally vicious as dog fighting. When the promoters of either of these violent activities are busted, they are generally fined, not allowed to own any more dogs or chickens, and possibly fined. Prosecutors allow the defendants to plead to a lesser charge; it is rare for anyone to do any jail time. They are usually given probation. Vick's punishment seems disproportionate to the normal sentencing for the same violations.--Sheria