Friday, September 14, 2007

Asking to be "interviewed"

 Comment from bbartle3
9/14/07 6:26 AM | Permalink
Well, that's all a new kettle of fish!
At the risk of sounding churlish.......
      Had to look it up....

Main Entry: churl
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'ch&r(-&)l
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English ceorl man, ceorl; akin to Old Norse karl man, husband
1 : CEORL
2 : a medieval peasant
3 : RUSTIC , COUNTRYMAN
4 a : a rude ill-bred person b : a stingy morose person

Ain't English wonderful? One of my fav.
stolen words in the English dictionary
is the German Schadenfreud

Main Entry: scha·den·freu·de
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'shä-d & n-"fro i-d&
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: German, from Schaden damage + Freude joy
: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

I believe there are something like 250,000 words
in the OED. (That is, many more than in other
languages; which gives legs to the the argument
that our President always speak regular English....ha ha ha ha...)

I sidetracked myself....If I'm asked to be
"interviewed" my answers could very well
be more forthcoming than if I'm the one doing the
asking: For reasons not clear to me I cannot
find the chutzpah to "ask" to be interviewed.

Main Entry: chutz·pah
Function: noun
Variants: also chutz·pa/'hut-sp&, '[k]ut-, -(")spä/
Etymology: Yiddish khutspe, from Late Hebrew huspAh
: supreme self-confidence : NERVE , GALL
synonym see TEMERITY

I just lack the gall to actually ASK to
be interviewed!

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh Baz, I have just woken up and your entry has just fired my brain beofre breakfast!
Gaz
PS Yeah, I am back