Sunday, May 22, 2005

WWW.SPMA.NET

I checked the Website for So. Cal. Masters Swimmers to make sure it was official, and on record, that I'd qualified for the 1,500 meters event for the USMS National Championships to be held this August in Mission Viejo, CA. And yes, there it was in black and white. My plan at the moment is to swim just that one event, with the goal of at least being in the top ten in my age group. The events are spread over four days, with the 1,500 meters being on the final day. One event provides as much incentive to swim for good health as would competing in events every day of the meet. And, there are other meets. Besides, the prospect of driving back and forth from LA to Mission Viejo on the freeway is daunting.


Old men competing can be just as mean, and prone to act and think in terms of 'psyching' the competition, as young competitors, maybe even more so. Pretty comical really. I make an effort to avoid that. The idea of getting into a lather, and thrashing around in the water just to win has zero appeal. Getting there with a minimum of effort, and in so doing avoiding injury, that's my goal. (I have to clamp my mouth shut here; I have a proclivity to gossip.)


It's early Sunday, the Lord's Day. Good morning.


Barry

No comments: