Friday, May 13, 2005

Our Little Voice

Somewhere nearby at this hour millions of birds are sleeping. I imagine them with their head tucked under their wing.  Birds do very well in big cities I understand. You've heard about the hawk that built it's nest above the high arch of the main entrance to a Fifth Avenue, NYC swanky apartment building? Oh yeah, the owner got fed up with tourists, and natives, gawking at the nesting hawk who, it's said, made out very well with his girl friends. So, unwisely, the landlord took the nest down. There was such a hubbub of protest from savvy New Yorkers, the nest was restored. Chalk up one for the good guys.


Oh, that reminds me. Recently I saw a crow and a sparrow sharing what was left of a hotdog bun on the grass beside the sidewalk. My jaw fell. Watching the scene from my parked car I was incredulous that a crow could be so accomodating. Ah, but I now know better: my new acquaintance, bird expert Rita, told me that what I was watching was not a crow, but a Raven. So all the 'crows' I've been itching to shoot from my window are actually black Ravens. (I believe they also come in other colors, but not sure.) Ravens have "wedge shaped" tails Rita told me. That might explain why they are so very remarkable at maneuvering in-air; they actually play with each other, sometimes even pretending to be falling, out of control, to the ground, then pulling out at the last second. I wonder if that is courtship? Crows, in my experience are humorless, merciless, and even peck out the eyes of sheep and lambs. There's no 'play' in them.


Oh dear, I've become so enamoured again of birds I have watched I'd forgotten about the subject I was intending to write upon: the little voice in our head, the 'crow' if you will, that has nothing good to say about us. May I return to that subject later? Pretty soon I'll hear the first birds of the morning, new voices I hear this time of the year beginning yesterday. Migrants? Can't switch back to that other, black, subject right now: it'd be like chewing a tough steak for dessert.


Barry


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing.  With three kids, you still find time to write.  I never knew so much about birds...  Anyway, I found your journal through an AOL search on writing.  Have you done any novels?

Anonymous said...

You're right, writing sure is time consuming. I have
a hunch that great writers did almost nothing else.
Or, had periods when that was true, and then came
up for air. No, I'm writing my first novel. I've had
several short stories published, but nowhere
prestigious, so I almost never mention that fact.
Credit mania is something to avoid, in oneself,
and in others. I bow to the show biz maxim: 'No
credit is enough.'     Barry

Anonymous said...

I too love birds, Barry.  They and their antics and morning songs are what makes me arise before daylight, awaiting their assured arrival.  I feed them, one and all.  Everything with feathers can feed and drink in a place behind my patio in safety.  The way the fence is on three sides, and garage on the west side, all can fly as soon as a cat attempts to scale the fence.  There are few things in nature more pleasant than birds, however, I feed all the wild creatures.  I enjoyed your article on birds, Barry.  Keep up the good work of being an advocate for their good deeds.  I have found even the crows and ravens are not nearly as villainous as many portray them.  They more often than not would prefer a dropped French fry rather than combat with live prey.  Food and water in big cities make for the ability of wild life to co-habitate with man and progress.  If only everyone would spend a bit of money to help these feathered friends.

R.D....