Friday, May 6, 2005

Mistress Bradstreet

Anne Bradstreet, poet, 1612-1672 One of the first Americans we honor at Thanksgiving.


Mistress Bradstreet, The Untold Story of America's First Poet, written by Charlotte Gordon, Pub. by Little, Brown, 2005.


I first heard of this book over NPR radio while driving. I'm hooked already. When I have studied the book I will ask some questions out loud, right here.


My ignorance is showing, because I understand that one of Bradstreet's poems is very often read out loud at weddings. You see, she loved her husband. She so loved her husband she bore him eight children at a time when child birth was extremely dangerous.


Barry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mistress Bradstreet, The Untold Story of America's First Poet, written by Charlotte Gordon, Pub. by Little, Brown, 2005.

I first heard of this book over NPR radio
Hey Barry, I nevewr heard of this poet?? Who is she?

Anonymous said...

Anne Bradstreet's poem about loving her husband
is often read, in America, at weddings. She lived in
the Puritan Colony in what is now Massachusetts in
the 1600's. She gave birth to eight children. One reason
I'm interested in her is that she was a Protestant
who fled Europe (especially England) at the time
of Shakespeare, or shortly after Shakespeare died
(I admit I must bone up on all the history particulars)
when Catholics were murdered, beheaded, and hung
on bridges in London to terrorize Catholics. Perhaps
the Puritans wisely thought, 'Who's next.'

This gets complicated. I want to attack the popular
American, 20th century play THE CRUCIBLE, by Arthur
Miller. I've just this moment discovered in a movie
reference book, that Jean Paul Sartre's script was
made into a French/German made movie ssometimes titled
THE WITCHES OF SALEM, which my reference book praises
as far superior to Arthur Miller's play, The Crucible. Ha ha
I'm ecstatic!  You see, Miller tried to equate the Salem witch
trials with the hysterical Comminist 'Witch trials' by
Congress in the 1950s. The pendulum swings; Congress
was not really conducting a witch trial after all; communist
subversion was real!  All those sanctimonious screenwriters
who've been bleeding hearts all these years were no more
guilty than those, like elia kazan, who named names!

Barry