Friday, May 6, 2005

Swimming in Memories

Here it is Friday night already, three years since my last Master's swim meet (age divisions) and on Sunday next I'll compete in four events: 1500, 200, 400 meters freestyle, and 200 meters backstroke. The first event I might use as warmup. Two years ago part of my left lung was removed; that 'part' was judged benign, praise God. It took more than a year's swimming to recover most of my breathing strength. Although I feel fine, I must brace myself for the inevitable shock of finding my swim times have fallen off.


Swimming is one avenue to Memory of childhood for me. I've tried many times to put into words my feelings associated with swimming but each time, failed. One  aspect I've never dared venture to write about is the voluptuous enjoyment derived from languidly gliding through the water. That's why I tend to shun short events such as the 50, and 100 meters which to me feel like wild, unenjoyable thrashing just to get a few seconds faster. There is one part of the freestyle stroke cycle, to be fast, one must execute fast. I've only just a few days ago discovered that the 'catch' halfway through the underwater part of the stroke of each hand must be faster than any other part of the stroke. That movement duplicates, in Physics, the propulsive, drag-free motion of the underwater motor driven screw. (Same as a propeller in the air.) I thought the action itself was enough, never grasping that the movement had to be fast. The trouble is, having never practiced isolating that part as fast, I could never sustain that fast motion, as short as it is, for an entire distance event having never practiced that strength-requiring motion. Standing erect, place one arm, straight, at a 30 degree angle from your body with your hand a few inches opposite center. With fingers together, hand in line with the rest of your arm move the hand almost parallel with the line of your shoulders. It is that short 'propeller-like' motion which provides the greatest propulsion when the body is horizontal, on the top of the water.


In salt water floating is a snap because salt water is heavier than fresh water. But even in fresh water one can lie on the water on your back with arms straight above your head, body in line, and float, provided the body is relaxed.


Archimedes: "When a body is wholly or partly immersed in a fluid, without dissolving, there is a resultant upthrust equal to the weight of the fluid displaced." I memorized that in boarding school in Australia when I was about thirteen. My academic record in boarding school was included in my application to three colleges when I applied from High School in San Francisco. Neither in HS, or college, could I make the swim team. I didn't  get serious about swimming until I was in my 50's. Before that I was a very heavy footed runner in 10Ks and three marathons, two in LA, and one in San Diego. To complete each one I had to run a heck of a lot of miles.


Each aspect of swimming mentioned above I associate with my dear departed mother who literally supported me, and gently encouraged me to learn and train which I did around the age of ten. What you learn at ten one very often remembers well. So the pleasure and good health I enjoy from swimming I owe to my dear Mother who I love and miss so much, especially on Mother's Day.


Barry


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


Hi Barry.  Unlike you, Barry, I am little influenced by events in my childhood.  I have noted many times in your posts, your love of swimming.  Keep up the exercise, and you should have a long and healthy life.


R.D....