Thursday, May 19, 2005

Four Times I read that Book!

Was it dippy to read the same book over and over four times? Why would anyone do that? I did it lying down, light coming in the window, or, sitting at another window in daylight with the top end of the book on a bun. The subject of the book is not the subject of this entry. Again I want to write here about 'mind chatter,' the little voice, the 'Black Crow' which is what I call my little voice in the back of my head, usually saying despicable things to, and about, me. It's not the first time I've read the same book many times, yet it's the rereading I might understand the most.


The book is called Bobby Fischer Goes to War. It is a well-written, thoroughly researched account of the 1972 World Championship chess match held in Reykavik, Iceland between the reigning champion Soviet player Boris Spassky, and American genius Robert J. Fischer, aka 'Bobby.'


The big news on that subject is that in the past weeks Bobby Fischer, now in his 60s, has accepted Iceland's humanitarian offer of asylum and granted him Iceland Citizenship. The USA stupidly cancelled Fischer's USA Passport when, in 1992, he played another match against Spassky, winning $3,000,000, in the former Yugoslavia in violation of the State Department's order that he not go there. So Fischer said 'Up yours,' played and won, went to live in Japan and married a Japanese woman chess champion. I hope the couple is now happily enjoying Iceland's generous hospitality. The only way America can get Fischer now is to take away it's valued, strategically important military base near Reykavik, and demand that Iceland hand over Bobby. That ain't gonna happen.


For me the core of the book on the 1972 chess match is about the passion to win, and one's absolute imperative ability to silence the little voice in our head that insists on second guessing us. I play chess against the computer chess program Chessmaster 7000 and try to examine my inner life while doing so. The 'voice' never shuts up. Oh my God what a bore is that black crow. I deduce from this that all the shenanigans that went on just before the beginning of the 1972 Iceland match, all of Fischer's demands and refusals and threats of going home, were really about Fischer being determined to have his own little voice absolutely silent so he could play his best. How can anyone do their best, at anything, if the little voice says, "You don't deserve to win." And, upon losing, it says, "What did I tell you?"


There might be some kind of survival value provided by having this menacing voice, but so far I can't grasp what that might be. Perhaps it's religious in nature, something along the lines of putting our spiritual welfare ahead of our competive lusts.


If you know the answer, send me an email. Or, comment. Tnx


Barry


Former Ham Operator, WA2VLI, (NY)


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barry,
               nice writing about that little old voice in the back of your head and about Bobby.
I have no answer to your question about the voice. But I do know that it is there for a reason.
Maybe it is there to keep us from going inane or create rancor among the lives out here in the world. Maybe it is there to ensure that we never feel alone.
If you ask me and you have not, I say it helps when it can to keep things in perspective to our nagging so-called-life.
Perhaps you have to view this crow as a foible in ones life. Without it we would fritter away with everything we do.
I also think, that you can quiet this crow if you put your mind to it.
although I quiet my crow with the form of ADDERALL. LOL it makes the voice quiet enough to hear my true thoughts on things.
LMAO.
Have a good weekend Barry, and as always, your friend BEA