Thursday, April 6, 2006

Skip this: Auto Talk, boooooooring.....

LA has been called the auto capital of the world. I live in LA. Having an auto is imperative, although slowly but surely rapid transit, including Underground (Subway) fast Metrolink, and two-section busses are in place and growing.


Having a car is a happiness nevertheless, for shopping, attending entertainments, even going swiftly to the library, the doctor, swimming pools and parks, the zoo, and the theater and concert halls.


Within my lifetime automobiles have very dramatically improved. When I was a preteen an auto engine required major engine repair before 50,000 miles. ("Rings"). An exception might have been hand-crafted cars such as those made by Rolls Royce. Today some inexpensive production line cars last at least 100,000 miles before major repair is required.


It used to be said that American cars were made with 'Built-in obsolesence' forcing another purchase. Today with winning competition from Japan, America and Germany are losing money so fast hundreds of thousands of employees must be laid off. In fact, the auto industry in America might damn near fail altogether from greed, stupidity, ignorance, and blindness. On the horizon, too, China is now making cars that will be inexpensive and in a few years, no doubt, durable. Already South Korea's KIA is looking damn tempting. It will keep getting better! I'm glad: I served to keep Korea free.


Cars, yes, provided, of course, Hybrids continue to be improved and cost remains low. Oil will be too expensive even if new reserves are found.  Gas is $3 a gallon in LA today. When I first came back to America when a teenager, "gas wars" lowered the price of gasoline to 18 cents a gallon in California. At that time, too, America sold its used automobiles to Asia. Ha ha ha ha ha. They were transported to Asia in WW2 Liberty Ships, and other hastily constructed gargo ships by 'Rosie the Rivetter' and others, ha ha ha ha.


The currently underway slow melting away of our disgusting love affair with that insulting too-tall pile of black metal known as an SUV, the throne of America's bullies, is failing in the marketplace and not an hour too soon.  Good riddance. I've often feared I'd murder a driver of one of those monstrosities, those 'things' with a mouth like an open-jawed, rabid shark.


Because of the Japanese improved Aluminum alloy, transverse engine powering front wheel drive, driving has become safer, and much more fun, and the engine lasts a very long time. Even engine 'timing' has been greatly improved. Toyota has a huge bundle of patents, and, no doubt, so do other Foreign companies. It wouldn't surprise me if Ford pays Japanese manufacturers for use of their patents. And how disgusting and slothful-sounding that is! Ford vehicles are good but Ford dealers are Neanderthall; example: LA's biggest dealer will not employ Ford's own senssor warning "Service Engine Soon" and lacks employees who can utilize a hand-held computer that plugs in under the driver's side front panel, a device that monitors functions out of easy access. Their money is made from auto sales, used and new, not from maintenance and repair. Hence, business failures.


I could get to like the subway again: In NYC I loved walking, and I loved the subway. You don't have to have a car in NYC. Opera diva Supreme, Zinka Milanov, at age 60, wrapped a scarf around her neck as protection against the cold in winter, and took an elevator down to the sidewalk, then a very short walk to the subway, to go to work at the Metropolitan.


Barry


 


 


 


 


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry I have had my little Ford KA for eight years ~ and she has been a real treasure ~ passed her MOT with no troubles ~ and goes like a dream ~ she is small enough to park almost anywhere so no Suv for me ~ I's rather use a bike they dont need any gas ~ maybe you should try one lol ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

"Barry I have had my little Ford KA for eight years ~ and she has been a real treasure ~ passed her MOT with no troubles ~ and goes like a dream ~ she is small enough to park almost anywhere so no Suv for me ~ I's rather use a bike they dont need any gas ~ maybe you should try one lol ~ Ally"

Yeah, me too, I too have a "little Ford" and a bike I
bought secondhand and like a lot. Great minds obviously
think alike! Ha ha ha ha ha......

Barry