Wednesday, April 12, 2006

CRASHing all over the place....

<  "I liked Crash.  Found it entertaining and thought provoking.  But it wouldn't have dawned on me to put it on a best picture of the year list.  The writing was solid and clever, but it felt to me that the whole ensemble cast — as racially, economically and motivionally diverse as they were — ended up speaking in the same voice:  that of a successful white Los Angles screenwriter in a hurry to make a point.

There are many supporters of Crash, but also many detractors.  And many of these detractors are black.  They believe Crash is a way for liberal whites to feel they've taken a hard look at racism when they've merely watched a manipulative and self-serving movie.  Some think the white racists were made too sympathetic.  I don't agree with that.  But some detractors make interesting points.

'A new poster':  don't know who you are yet, but when someone who has never appeared on a board shows up and directs people to a fee-charging writers event, it usually smells like spam." >



From : (a message board)



I very much liked this post. My first sentence of appreciation, just penned, is routinely called "sucking up" by you'all know whooo, Boo! I'd prefer it to be noted as Barry addressing the folder with my better self.





Some of the sticks to bash the movie CRASH that you cite might be taken into account by the complicated ideas in the screenplay: in dialog as well as action. I'd try to make the case that the writing is honest vs calculated goody-two-shoes, but even if some of your charges stick, I'm so grateful for the rest of the production, especially the unity of the acting, that I'm willingto let them pass. Remember, 'Race' is fiendishly difficult to write about, and just as fiendishly difficult to live with and among. For example, I'm married to and have been married to since 1992, an Asian woman. I'm revoltingly 'anglo' leading man type: In an Oldsmobile Industrial film made in 1966/7 I was cast as James Bond. Our children are, to say the least, hybrid, and thanks to hybrid vigor astoundingly quick, smart, and the oldest leads his class in Math. I've just had developed and had printed two forgotten rolls of film of our beginning family of three shot in 1994/7 showing, to me, how my young wife's appearance has changed in the 14 years since we were married. I'd forgotten she looked Asian back then, ha ha ha ha. We begin in relationships influenced by exterior appearances, and discover the human being who is not shaped by race. Most religions preach that in the eyes of God we are all equal. Our equality is guarranteed by our Constitution, and enforced by our laws like it or not. That's why America could be Heaven.




















These truths, I feel, are emphasised brilliantly, though with some indirection, in the movie CRASH.




Barry

No comments: