Tuesday, April 18, 2006

AOL Journals, Where goeth thou.....hmmmmmm?

Bloggers (Journal-keepers) on my list are leaving AOL journals; some are incommunicado in Blogspot and Blogger, and others have left their Journal idle for months. 


Journal heaven for a few blog keepers is to decoratively pen their plans for their garden, then sit back and receive a long line of supplicants expressing astonishment at the perspicacity and hoeing skill and penmanship of the blogger. Is there no bottom to the depth of vanity and self-importance of the human animal? Or, is the blogger so self-esteem deprived, so near suicide from loneliness, that it takes an army of penmen and penwomen to keep them from slicing their wrists out of despair?


My Irish/Australian Catholic relative by marriage, a grandmother to at least eleven children, and God knows how many others, enormously rich by comparison to all in her small town - she and her husband owned the town's largest (only) department store and garage - infuriated my father who observed her selling vegetables to the neighbors during a drought. They lacked a well as deep as hers.


Getting into heaven, it's said, is mighty hard for all of us, to say nothing of the difficulty for the rich.


'Judge not, that you be judged,' is oh so true, but I throw caution to the winds in a fit of anger and indignation.


Barry


 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry I hope you are not going to leave

Anonymous said...

No Ally, I am not. Thanks
for asking!

Barry

Anonymous said...

Barry, sometimes I don't understand.  You chastize some for wanting comments, but you were annoyed at me for NOT wanting comments.  I'm confused.  

Blogger and Blogspot are the same host, by the way - you go to Blogger.com to create a blog named xxxx.blogspot.com.  And no one there is incommunicado.  People who left put pointers in the old AOL journals, and there are several directories pointing to where people went.  At Bloglines.com you can set up for feeds of updates, and unlike AOL, there are no ads, and you get the WHOLE post on the feed.  In fact, I don't use AOL Alerts any more - Bloglines gives me AOL journal updates much more neatly.

There are several reasons that people may be leaving AOL journals:  
AOL uses a broken and non-standard HTML, so some things just don't work right.
AOL doesn't display some templates correctly.  
Putting large photos into the journal is a royal pain, compared to other blog hosts.  
AOL moderates content.  
Anyone knowing your screenname(s) can find your journal (like your boss, for instance).
Your non-AOL friends and relatives who might want to read your journal are forced to get an AOL screenname.
...and other reasons, not the least of which is that AOL code is inefficient, full of bugs,  and slow.

If you tried another journal/blog host, you might leave AOL, too. I assure you people aren't leaving to get away from anybody.  They're leaving for greener pastures.

~~Silk

Anonymous said...

Weird phenomenom, I agree.  I haven't been posting lately, out of laziness, purely.  Some people have vanity or scruples.  I have neither.  I'm just a slug.  

And by the way......I STILL love the movie Brokeback Mountain.......lol!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had much of a chance to write in my Journal on AOL.
School and studying as well as keeping the home fires burning keeps me from my journal.
I don't mind it too much cuz, only a few would read it any way. Out of those few only one would leave a comment. So no heartbreak on not writing in my journal comes from me.