Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Blogging & Journaling

"Barry, sometimes I don't understand.  You chastize some for wanting comments, but you were annoyed at me for NOT wanting comments.***  I'm confused.  

Blogger and Blogspot are the same host, by the way - you go to Blogger.com to create a blog named xxxx.blogspot.com.  And no one there is incommunicado.  People who left put pointers in the old AOL journals, and there are several directories pointing to where people went.  At Bloglines.com you can set up for feeds of updates, and unlike AOL, there are no ads, and you get the WHOLE post on the feed.  In fact, I don't use AOL Alerts any more - Bloglines gives me AOL journal updates much more neatly.

There are several reasons that people may be leaving AOL journals:  
AOL uses a broken and non-standard HTML, so some things just don't work right.
AOL doesn't display some templates correctly.  
Putting large photos into the journal is a royal pain, compared to other blog hosts.  
AOL moderates content.  
Anyone knowing your screenname(s) can find your journal (like your boss, for instance).
Your non-AOL friends and relatives who might want to read your journal are forced to get an AOL screenname.
...and other reasons, not the least of which is that AOL code is inefficient, full of bugs,  and slow.

If you tried another journal/blog host, you might leave AOL, too. I assure you people aren't leaving to get away from anybody.  They're leaving for greener pastures."


From: Silk   aka  (Not in front of me this second)


DISCUSS!


Barry


*** Please, don't expect consistency right now. I know


I waffle on many things.   - bb3


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waffle on my friend ~ you make a lot of sense ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Barry,

It could be your ability to intellectulize, your ability to stretch minds, your ability to impart knowledge on otherwise not fully understood subjects, that frankly irritate the hell out of lesser mortals, (and do you ever think they would recognize themselves?), might lessen the number of replies or comments? Don't leave. You are touching a lot of minds in J-land. Besides, who else has the patience to answer my questions??

Katerh