Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Mix

Race, wowee, after all this time race is still a hot topic?! The reason is, perhaps, that nobody, or almost nobody, is willing to take on the subject. Virtually all, a very high percentage of active Members of AOL are lilly white. I can hear it in the speech, I can hear it in the attitudes displayed, a very conspicuous tone of entitlement and privilege. I can hear it in the tension, humorlessness and intolerance of the writing, or writer wannabe Member. Curiously, rich white members probably do not write so frequently about what they have, about their houses and their view and their garden. The rich take those things for granted, they have lived with them all their lives. The new rich might  sometimes be another matter. The rich are more comfortable about race than are the middle class. You're not use to this subject? beginning to squirm? Tough. This is America.


Barry 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely a taboo topic.  Strange, huh?

Anonymous said...

The new rich might  sometimes be another matter.The rich are more comfortable about race than are the middle class. You're not use to this subject? beginning to squirm? Tough. This is America.
Barry

Hello ol' buddy Barry,

Why would the real rich folks wanna write here or where ever?
Middle class don't know as much as what we do, the ones right next or under the middle class.

I hate to put a label on this, but who cares about classes. Who cares about rich or poor?
One is always better than the other and of course one has to be worse than the other.
Color, race greed, religion, who cares, we are all just human beings and should therefore tread each other that way.

What I am getting at is: We don't see what we should and we have to label everything so that we can put it in a catagory for what ever reason.
Good or bad, we need both, other wise we would not know what good or bad is.
Yellow, red, black, brown, or white, we need colors, to see the beauty of this earth.
Religion and culture should be shared and not pushed onto others.

I accept my past culture and also the new one I entered, I use what I feel is right from both in my house. The same goes for religion and traditions etc.
I compromised between both cultures and took the best from both and created a new one which I use in my home.
I would never push my view onto others but urge people to find their way to share and accept with others.
Embrace and learn and give and share, that is what I think of America.

BEA

Anonymous said...

"Definitely a taboo topic.  Strange, huh?"

Veddy "strange." I've been lucky. From age
three to age 16 I lived in "Lilly white" Australia,
where the notorious "Australia First" policy
was designed to restrict immigration by Asians.
Curiously though, Australians as it turned out, are
not racist, and have since gotten their act together
to some remarkable degree. During my 13 years there
I heard only one racist remark,and that was from
my 'wicked' Uncle Hugh who even in middle age
read only boys books. Ha ha ha ha....(Well, unlike
most Americans, at least he read SOMETHING)
Last night I watched spellbound a TV documentary
about Ayes Rock (sp?) in Central Australia in which
it was shown that the government has been active
in improving the lot of Aborigines.

Barry