Thursday, July 26, 2007

Religion

Exchange lifted from the Do You Believe? aol (new?) message board which is so crowded with rushing rivers of posts I'm never responed to, or almost never. Ha ha ha. So, I come here to talk to my friends.


< "I'm guessing that Jesus was a nice guy but very naive politically."


<From:  Hector46ofTroy 


A Christian organization (in CA I think)spent a heap of money on a finely shot, color documentary aimed to 'prove' that Jesus was so politically astute that he deliberately upset the tables of the money changers in the Temple so as to get himself crucified, that it was his Mission. The thesis was, in part, that the temple priests deliberately controlled who could attend sacrifices in the inner temple by exchanging their unclean money for the purchase of white, sacrificial birds, only to people they approved of. Jesus did NOT like that: God must be made available to EVERYONE with absolutely not a soul left out! To a Christian that message is potent stuff. I can therefore very easily imagine Jesus in an absolute rage flinging the tables and coins of the money changers every which way.


 


[If anyone has a bead on why this highly dramatic scene was omitted from Mel Gibson's controversial movie I sure would like to hear your slant on the matter.]


 


Barry


http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/


A cogent argument might be possible along the lines that Jesus cannot be shown to have been on a suicide mission. Suicide being, in the Catholic Church, a mortal sin.        - Barry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why they left it out. Did they make the scene, then cut it? Does it matter whether it made the movie or not? I don't know what the implications are that it was left out, deliberately or otherwise. I'm sure there is some place on the internet where scholars have discussed this question until everyone was blue in the face! I haven't heard or read why Mel Gibson omitted this scene. I haven't thought much on it, and it's so late, I can't think on it, but perhaps another day it will come to me, some reasoning I can impart on you. I'll let you know!!! bea

Anonymous said...

I can't beleive in any of this stuff........ pure speculation, all of it.
Gaz