Wednesday, July 4, 2007

March Of Folly

"Oh say can you see...?...?".  The United States was founded by English gentlemen. Not sure if I can count on our wonderfull UK blogging pals to believe we celebrate that fact on this day, July 4th. Also, btw, our current, everyday postage stamp is a marvelously designed, beautiful, triangular picture of English sailing ships at anchor near Jamestown, VA (I think it's in Virginia - hey, I'm a little bit Aussie.)


THE MARCH OF FOLLY, written by an American woman historian, takes great delight in pointing out how England could quite easily have kept the Colonies under The Union Jack if this, and if that. It's been a while since I read that essay. I do remember that splendid Mr. Burke (Sir Edmund Burke) said in Parliament, "Let us bind them with laws of trade."  For comic relief, I think, some cite the fact that King George was bats.


In other words, Dear Brits, in celebrating Independence Day we mean in no way whatsoever to thumb our nose at Britain but to hug you for the wisdom of our Founding, English Fathers.


 


Love and hugs,


Barry


http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that every time a country gains independence from Britain, they set about having a war with themselves?
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

Barry, Indigo had an interesting take on the Independence Day issue. Helped put it in perspective for me. I didn't mean to set out bursting your celebration bubble in my first comment here. You were one of the first to make an Independence Day entry today. I was just feeling a little sad today. But I'm ready to honor the day this afternoon. Here is the link to Indigo's entry:


http://journals.aol.com/rdautumnsage/ravens-lament/entries/2007/07/04/independence-from-a-native-view/795

Have a good day! Bea
http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/

Anonymous said...

Bea, frankly I just plain forgot that, for example,
Jefferson owned slaves, one of whom was his Mistress.
Shoot, I'd have done the very same thing probably.
Is it so very long from 1776, to 1849 (?) when England
banned Slave trading? THE BOUNTY, you know, the mutinous
British ship, was en route to Jamaica, the British
possession, with breadfruit to feed the slave trade when
the mutiny occurred. The British banned slavery
LONG before the Amricans did: Fifteen years.

Let us live in Peace. God Bless America and Britain!!!!!!

Barry