Monday, June 4, 2007

More On Music

Don't know if it's Kosher to mention her by name, so, lacking certainty I'll skip that and mention this entry is in reply (I've already replied in the usual way twice) to a splendid Blogger I 'Love' who posted a video clip of Martine McBride (never heard of her but then Country is not my thing) singing smoothly and professionally a song that included in the first sentence "God is Great." Now, I don't know if that's Scripture, or simply has a 'scripture' ring to it.


Here's the puzzle: a Rock Ballad I've doted on for decades begins with a very inexpert, down home old woman wailing about God being "Great."  Then, Joan Osborn, a better singer by far but definitely not showing signs of operatic skills, picks up the thread of God being great and follows through with an incredibly powerful 'topper,'  that to a Christian is like all the Angels in Heaven Singing Fortissimo!    "What if God was one of us?......trying to make his way home."


Holy smokes that gives me shivers. It just might be blasphemous to say so, but I think the power of that lyric is that the event conjectured on has already happened.


Song writers, you have us in your grip.


 


Barry


Still looking, pining for, 'Home.'  (Shivers, it even echoes "ET go Home.")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barry, you got me stumped on this one mate. I aint got a clue what you're on about.
Gaz ;-)