Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dunno

Attempting to ad pix ran into a scare. Removal of the 2 GB memory card from the camera (a toy really) into the front of the computer later caused the card to not function in the camera. After fiddling it did finally work again but I'm scared. The connection in the new computer might simply have been dirty. The card works perfectly at the CVS drug store's Kodak instant printing machine.


More serious is my family's reluctance to have their picture posted on the internet. AOL has not been protective of me in spite of my myriad written complaints. The truth is AOL staff is complict with a madman who happens to have been a photogapher. Now his fulltime occupation is being a madman.


The next try will be to use the cable from camera to computer, and leave the 2 GB card in the camera. I should have done that first. I like taking pictures. I've been giving away pictures, INCLUDING TO THE MADMAN, for most of my long life. Yesterday I took snapshots of a parent and his three young children outside the Pre-K school attended by my son Michael. Weeks ago I feared the parent might be a gang guy, and he still might be, but he's also a sensitive father. You can see that side of him in the photos. It was a new thrill to be able to take the pictures at 8 am, and deliver them to to the subject by 11 am when Pre-K let out. I'd never done that before.


That same morning I took pictures of 4 year olds, mostly girls, hovering spontaneously around the car seat on the school room floor in which our Mark Andrew was sitting. Michael was thrilled that his new brother caused such a strong ripple of identification.


I've never accepted a penny for the pictures I've taken. I do it for love.  There was one exception. Years ago (1976?) I gave model Nancy Brown a picture I took of her which she placed in her 'Book', her modelling book. Some months later I received a check for $200  sent to me by a NYC advertising company. The photo was bought right out of Nancy Brown's book when she was on a 'Go-see.' Probably saved them a fortune, ha ha ha ha.... I won't be shy, it was a thrill. I'd just moved from NY to LA and didn't have a dime. Let  me hasten to add that it wasn't hard to take a lovely picture of Nancy Brown!


Barry


  http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/


 


 


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the cable connection from camera to computer will be your best solution. That's how I transfer my images from camer to computer. I don't even have a memory card insert opening on the computer, so the cable is my only choice. I haven't tried taking the memory card to the store to develop pictures yet... might give that a try someday. But I did buy some film and print out my own 4X6 pictures on the printer. If your family is worried about their pictures on the internet, don't post them. But do email to your friends!!! Hint hint. Like you, I've never made money from my photographs. I've taken wedding shots, portraits, animals and nature... but have never had them developed in anything larger than 8X10, mostly 4X6s. I used to do black and white, back when I was a college student and it was cheaper to shoot black and white, plus I had access to a darkroom and could develop and print my own photos. I loved it, but alas, over time, fell in love with the convenience of SLR, zoom lenses, and K-mart/wal-mart developing/printing prices. Now, I hardly ever print my pictures. I just use them for the purpose of journals, emails, and screensaver/slideshow. I do love the digital camera. Nancy Brown is quite the photographer herself. Sounds like you could have had a career in photography yourself... but we just can't do it all, you know? You are a man of many talents, Barry. bea

http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/

Anonymous said...

I've never received a penny for any of my pictures, but there again, I doubt  they are worth a penny.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard