Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Free Association (of thoughts, ideas, impulses)

Everyone's asleep. Today my youngest son will be four. His birthday photos, I'm sorry to have to realize, will be marred by his left eyelid showing dark blue bruising from the procaine injections needed for the doctor to sew up an inch-long cut across his left eyebrow. The tall, sweet physician, a woman, at Glendale Memorial Hospital made a gentle joke, 'That's why we have eyebrows, for protection of our eyes.' I tried to counter with a similar joke by saying, 'Intelligent Design!' but it fell flat 'cause, I suspect, we both think that expression sucks. She was a lovely, gracious lady and I pray her work turns out better than mine did.


You see, my son had done almost exactly the same thing to his right eyebrow many months ago, a cut I 'fixed' with surgical tape, Neosporan, and frequent changing of the strong tape attempting to keep the edges of the wound together for healing. There is a faint scar that'll probably fade away in time. In the nervousness of being at the hospital I almost blundered again with a jocular. 'Your repair better work better than mine did!' addressed to the physician 'Sewing Mistress,' but luckily I spared her. 


The physician and the male nurse, at different times, asked my son, "What happened?" to which he repeated what he'd told me, that his year-and-a-half-year older brother pushed him (while they were using their metal bunk bed as a piece of gym equipment.)  The first near eyebrow decapitation occurred when he jumped from another bed, missed the top bunk bed, and fell onto the metal railing of the bottom bed.


Glendale Memorial is a private hospital not a County Hospital. When we first checked in at the Emergency Room, and I was upset and befuddled and frightened for my son, I read the questioning I was subjected to - probably having, in part, to do with would they get paid - as overly defensive, so I blurted out in a loud voice that the day after tomorrow would be the fourth anniversary of his having been born in this very same exact hospital at very great expense! (Thanks to my insurance, not my bank account.)  Curiously, the twelve or so emergency room patients laughed, including one of whom, an elderly woman, I later learned, had stepped backwards to avoid an oncoming vehicle so strenuously she fell and seriously bruised her back, but luckily not her head.


When I was the same age as my youngest son a boy next door threw a rock at me hitting me in the head. I bled profusely, and the scar resulting caused my parents to part my hair on the other side. I've looked for the scar but it has vanished.


Old wounds often go away; what to do about the ones that persist is another matter, for another day.


Barry 


 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry I hope your Son is feeling better and the scar will disappear in time ~ I don't think jumping from one bunk bed to another is a very good idea ~ Children don't see fear and they obviously think they can fly ~ lol ~ what is they say "Boys will be Boys"  ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Poor baby.  Give him another kiss from me.
Silk

Anonymous said...

Thanks Silk, he smiled and loved
having your comment read to him.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Barry I hope your Son is feeling better and the scar will disappear in time ~ I don't think jumping from one bunk bed to another is a very good idea ~ Children don't see fear and they obviously think they can fly ~ lol ~ what is they say "Boys will be Boys"  ~ Ally

Thanks Ally. I should have replaced the metal bed with
a wooden one. Life is full of shoulda shoulda done this
that and the other. Gymnastics in the bedroom is henceforth
banned, period.* Lol, I laugh 'cause I can't stop crying the
blues at my error.

Barry

*My own is another matter.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your son! I think we live in such a society/culture nowadays that professionals look for any sign of abuse first and become accusatory first without really listening to the parent or believe the child. Nineteen years ago when my daughter had a febrile seizure and I took her to the ER because she was unconsciousness, the ER doctor had such an accusatory tone in his voice of "what happened" meaning more like "what did you do to her". When it was confirmed that she had had a seizure and a high fever, I didn't get an apology (not that I expected one) for their suspicions.

Hope your little one heals fine

betty

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy.  This is only the beginning of many a "war wound".  Boys are boys.  Take pictures of all his little mishaps.  Someday you will look at all the pics and wonder how the county welfare system never took your child away from you.....lol!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the little one who is turning the big 4.

Boy's are not the only dare-devils, girls do the same thing.
Many times did I have to remind my girls that fruniture of any kind is not a jungle-gym, nor that windows and dorrs are places to play with.
My youngest was running in the house, slipped and fell through the glass door.
Luckily she used her hands in front of her face or her face would have been cut.
She had both hands cut but nothing too bad to need stitches.
When I was just knee high to a grasshopper, I too done some stunts that scared parts of my body. Now a day's I have to really look close to see them.
I think that the tragically received scars only remain in the mind rather than on the body.
So, don't fret too much Barry, kids will be kids and wounds will heal, scars will fade, but the memory of having done a daring act and getting away without losing a limb will remain forever. It will build character and strength to the person they will become.

BEA

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good cheer Bea. Childhood,
and parenthood, are, to say the least, not
easy, and filled with dangers. By weird co-
incidence, there are at least two, maybe three
or more, TV news story about evils befalling
children today. As you know, I blog for writing's
sake, not to be popular, or to spread sweet
optimism. Not that being positive isn't the best
route to travel, but too earnest concentrating on
coming off as having it licked, life that is, doesn't
help one's writing much. I spend every day making
a big effort to see to it that my children get off
to a good start in life. Because I've followed your
posts on poetry boards for more than a year I know
you are doing exactly the same thing. You are an
inspiration!

Barry

Anonymous said...

> "Someday you will look at all the pics and wonder how the county welfare system never took your child away from you.....lol!"

That's not in the slightest bit funny. Are you a man? Whatever the case don't Comment on my journal again; you are not welcome.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Thanks Betty. You're right on target: In
writing the entry I consciously hinted that
it was in the air that the hospital people,
as a duty, looked for signs of abuse. To
improve my writing skills I consciously try
to speak on several levels at once, and write
deliberately out of sequence in order to say more
with fewer words. So, I'm glad you picked up on that.
The impulse to write fiction dies, at least for me,
when I employ too much honey and treacle and never
get to the bitter stuff.

Barry

Anonymous said...

> "Barry I hope your Son is feeling better and the scar will disappear in time ~ I don't think jumping from one bunk bed to another is a very good idea ~ Children don't see fear and they obviously think they can fly ~ lol ~ what is they say "Boys will be Boys" " ~ Ally" >

Thanks for your calm reassurance. There's some kind of
mix up when exchanging love, gets confused with being
in the presence of love that doesn't change. Obedience
simply can't be purchased by bartering love. I'm trying
to unscramble that conundrum. One of the best ways,
something I must try more often, is to give children
responsibilities, jobs, tasks, deadlines. Otherwise I
suspect children get to think of themselves as household
ornaments, and the way to get what they want is to pull an
undecorative face.

Barry