Thursday, March 9, 2006

Even the title of Memoirs of a Geisha is wrong. There is never

any other thing 'remembered' than how the lead suck-up-girl's

career is making out. In the DVD I watched last night the dubbed English doesn't agree with the subtitles. This is the most amateurish movie I've ever seen. Embarrassing, wrong, crude, simpering, lousy. Wrong: that American servicemen wore facial hair in occupied Japan. Wrong: that the emblems on USA bombers were in black and white. Wrong: That the relationship with the desired bigshot businessman would

have been consumated. That would necessitate the title

being changed to Memoir of a Prostitute. The photography of the movie is childish; and yes, it sure was shot in Thousand Oaks, a dismal Los Angeles 'suburb' in the desert. Much of it is hand held, with part of the face of the main 'Geisha' going out of frame for no reason other than sloppy technique and not











enough money left to fix it. The continual darkness is suffocating and this viewer, all the way through, longed for daylight. NOTHING beats daylight for photography. THAT'S WHY THE MOVIES CAME TO CALIFORNIA!





There's some kind of stultifying battle going on in the Biz in which camera operators and Cinematographers, and directors want more freedom to man the camera themselves, or some such, who cares not me.



 

The Oscar for that drech is made of frozen cream cheese.



Barry

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the book was good, though. sorry they didn't make it to be a good movie

betty

Anonymous said...

I'd like to read the book.
I've heard that "comparisons
are odious" but here goes
anyway. As flawed as it was
in many respects the movie
which dealt with a love story
about a Geisha and an ordinary
citizen that really works was
SAYONARA starring Marlon Brando.
The love story was palpable.
The actress playing the Geisha
utterly superb. Takes my breath
away just remembering how glorious
it was.  Thanks for your Comment.
New York's Joshua Logan directed.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments on that film Barry ~ I won't be going to see it ~ don't want to spoil the memories of the book ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

You make me happy and glad I
didn't criticise the story, but instead
how the good story was destroyed by
bad moviemaking technique. Any story
that shows the truth that love can be
created under any circumstances is worth
treasuring.  Thanks!

Barry

Anonymous said...

The book was interesting, but it also was wrong on some points of geisha culture.  I went to the movie because I thought it would be beautiful - but I also thought it was too dark.  Oppressively so.
~~Silk

Anonymous said...

Now I am compelled to see it.......hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, please do see it and
favor us, please, with another
viewpoint. I wanted the movie to
be a success.My primary gripe has
nothing to do with the story
and everything to do with the movie
having been given an Oscar for
cinematograhy.

Barry