Thursday, August 16, 2007

Foot Ware

"I thought that was a great family snap, you all look so dapper especialy Dad. Then I scanned down to your shoes.............. Oh Baz,what have ya got on yer feet mate? You look like the captain of your family ship, but flip flops???????
Gaz ;-)"


Dear Gaz;


The "flip flops???????" were strenuously objected to by a, my-same-age Senor, in the men's room of McDonald's. On the inside 'flop-holder' of each Flip is the word MEXICO. The color scheme of each 'shoe' is red, white, and green, the color of the Mexican National flag. My antagonist, fortunately for me, was unarmed. I should add here before I get to the real drama, that we lived for nearly five years, retired, in Guadalajara, Jalisco, and Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca. So, in short, I'm familiar with Mexican rackets, and tired long, long ago of being accosted as a 'Gringo.' The McDonald's old guy, my age, was pissed that I was "Walking" on his country, and, on top of that, with dirty feet!


Since then I keep the flippers clean: the chief benefit of the slippers for me is that I wear them to the pool, whether indoors or outdoors. The concrete surrounding most pools is rough to help one from slipping on one's keyster. I wash them in the men's room shower, along with myself.


As you know, I'm proudly old, and win swimming races in my age group. My God, I better get back to meets and pick up some more medals 'cause by rule I am now eligible to swim in the 75 - 80 age group and just might win in the Medley too, in spite of having virtually no 'Dolphin' AKA in USA as 'Butterfly' stroke.  The rule is that each year your age-group is determined by age beginning with your birthday anytime in that year. I'm 75 in September, so this year I'm in the 75-80 age group.


In age, there isn't quite enough circulation in my legs to satisfy me, so I avoid wearing shoes as much as possible. Nobody objects to my flip flops provided, apparently, nothing is written on them. Language, ya know, is "violence" to quote England's academician Jacqueline Rose. And, remember, my photo was not taken in Hyde Park(which I walked through more than once, shod, and wearing a suit looking for a soapbox to stand on and showoff my fine English shoes) but casual California, in a cemetery. The dead didn't mind.


Barry


Luv ya Sport!


http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Barry I can hardly believe you are 75 you cetainly don't look it ~ I did notice your flip flops but you looked so relaxed they went with your mood ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Oh Gawd, I rattled the cage there lololololol ;-) I didn't notice they were Mexican ones, was the old boy a fellow rest room user, or the cleaner?

The point I was making was...... Here I go's crawling now. Is that you are a fine strapping handsome man. You look amazing for your years my friend. I honestly expected you to be in a hand made pair of Bass Weejuns (sp?) or something of that ilk, not a pair of old flip flops from Mexico! ;-)

Gaz ( heheheheh, still giggling to myself)

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

you do know hun,flip flops are a national institution here in england,as is spam,oh yes,gaz is just jealous cos youve got those executive ones on,and hes only got brown ones.I think theyre sexy,dont worry its only cos my hubbys away,i shall go and thrash myself with a lettuce leaf  mwahhs zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/domestic-chaos/