Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Written communications

Communication by words alone is not as simple as one might suppose. That's why photographs and other graphics are so effective on blogs. Effective, that is, in stirring up responses: try, just try, blogging solely with words and one feels as if rattling along, alone in the Universe. That can be softened a little by laboriously endorsing every single word 'Entered' by another. I can do that, but after a while I feel insincere, or, simply get tired of the labor. In earlier times, in the days of Sam Johnson for example, correspondence was replete with humble jargon, such as "Your ever so humble servant," and so on. We don't buy that stuff any more.


Written communication via snail mail - you know, stamps, envelopes and a street address - has always been my favorite. I still have a copy of a letter written when I was ten (it was in 1943, WW2 ablaze) the motive of which was to inveigle my cousins into having me come to their place for the holidays: you know, rabbits, horses, shooting, cricket, and building underground "Headquarters." My letter is a riot of very bad writing, which of course is its charm. I might post a copy here, odd scrawl and all, but you see that would revert to graphics. It's words I want to employ, the good ol' English sentence. In spite of my verbal aggression, showing off, in the letter, my dear, strict Catholic aunt Helen saved the letter and half a century later my couson Michael sent me a copy, of really, really bad writing, which can be intriguing, even eclipsing splendid, perfect English, which sometimes can be a bloody great bore to read.


Here's the little known secret: writing all by itself, unsoftened by various decorative aids, can be infuriating, hurtful, inflamatory, defamatory, destructive, rude, frightening, gidding-making and also boring as hell ablaze. I know, because I've ruined many decades-old friendships simply by letting 'er rip in a letter. For example, a friend  from school days has allowed his mid-section to balloon. He's grown exceedingly didactic and superior in old age, so I'm tempted to write to him about the permanent 'lectern' conveniently placed in front of him, positioned so that no matter which direction he faces he can immediately launch into a speech on the subject of his sublime superiority intellectual. In college he was just about the only Freshman to flunk the famous "Step-test" which measured one's heart strength and recovery. Today, that test would kill him, I'm certain of that. Yet, I'm certain also that he is incapable of linking his perpetual ill-humor with the weakness of his heart. Heartlessness is a physical malady.


Sail on, Oh ship of Blog, maybe we can get something done after all.


Barry


Shoot, I just couldn't resist: I sent him an email copy.


 


 


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are irrepressible!

Anonymous said...

lol, Barry, where DO you come up with this stuff??

I`ve always liked the old classics like Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, TS Eliot, etc because of the great descriptive writing. No one writes that way these days. There doesn`t seem to be the time any more to savor words, ya know?
Penny
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/pennys-pieces-of-ohio

Anonymous said...

I have a trunkful of letters I have saved since I began corresponding with various family members and friends... they go back to high school actually.... I don't have anything older than that, and what I have are the letters sent to me, not the letters I wrote. I was a prolific letter writer... had to be, dad was in the Air Force for twenty years, and during that time we moved at least ten times, maybe more. I was always having to say goodbye to my friends, and making new friends. Letter writing saved my lonely soul!

As well, I prefer journal writing with a pen. My handwriting leaves a lot to be desired, no doubt, but it isn't the handwriting as much as a record of my thinking during those times of youth. I write better than I speak, and I write more than I would ever say out loud. I suppose it's because I can take the time to think before I write, and don't have to respond immediately to another person's words or actions. I have written letters to people, and mailed them, thinking that my words of wisdom would be well received and given careful consideration. Now there is a fantasy! Takes awhile to make amends after one speaks one's mind like that. I know what you mean, and I do miss the pen and paper writing. I reserve that form of communication for those who do not have access to the internet nor the telephone. The upside to paper letters is if you save them, over time you have a wonderful piece of a person's life, especially after they pass away. I have all my youngest sister's letters sent to me before she was killed in a car accident (at age 31). I have all my best high school friend's letters she wrote to me before she died of a brain tumor at age 41. I have the letters my dad  wrote to me from Viet Nam, and those my mom wrote when she was in the hospital for two weeks when I was a teenager. They are treasures. Looks like you got me started on a favorite topic! I'll go for now. Have a good day, Barry! Bea