Friday, October 27, 2006

Take Two: Children

Okay, sweet people, that's too 'rough' for you? Let's switch to children and the disciplining of same.


I have an extraordinarily spirited four year old. Oh my Lord his non-stop energy is astounding. He can't wait, each day, to get to school (Pre-K). So, you can easily imagine the mischief he gets into. For safety's sake I must rein him in but in doing so I worry that it might be better to allow more leeway short of safety considerations.


Too much discipline, I fear, will over-train the tiger. A four year old learns from copying adults. But, damn it, I'm NOT gonna let him drive. Let him throw a tantrum, I'm immoveable.


Barry


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hi - found your journal through Bea's.  I can relate to this.  I have a 2 year old son and an 11 year old son.  The 11 year old is very spirited and whilst I would like him to be able to express his point of view, I often wonder where it needs to stop. He argues every point, sometimes reasonably, yet most times, for his own benefit. If we catch him on something, he changes direction.  Wondering whether his future should lie in the law??? I agree about the tantrums. My 2 year old can lie on the floor and beat the carpet until it's flattened, but I won't let him have his own way. I'm a teacher and have taught too many kids that have been given their own way and who think that they can do this throughout their lives.  God's strength to you!  Regards, Caroline (North Carolina)
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure