Monday, October 16, 2006

He bent to kiss her.

"Don't do it again. If I miscarry again I'll die.

There are easier, quicker ways to kill me.
You can't have a child by me, don't you

understand? What makes you think you can

have a child by anyone?"

"Ah, but you won't miscarry this time," he

said. He lay beside her. He placed his hand

on her belly. He smiled. He uttered a string
of rapid syllables in a hum, his mouth grotesque
for one moment as he did it - it was a language!

"Yes my darling, my love, the child's alive

and the child can hear me. The child is female.

The child is there."

She screamed.

She turned her fury on the unborn thing, kill it

kill it, kill it, and then - as she lay back,

drenched in sweat, stinking again, the taste of

vomit in her mouth - she heard a sound that was

like someone crying.

He made that strange humming song. 






From: LASHER by Ann O'Brien Rice (page 141)

A Borzoi Book, Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.



So, this board (AOL Message Board 'Fav. Fiction')lives to celebrate this fiction?

Ths is the popular writing you celebrate day

after day writing of this calibre? My, my, my.

It reads a bit like the screenplay for NAKED GUN

but not funny at all. Pathetic, sick, pathological

goes some of the way to characterize such immature

demented drivel. Shame on you!



Barry



My wife is presently 41/2 months pregnant; reading the

above actually made me feel ill with disgust that any

writer could sink so low and make so much money

doing it. Is that's what's going on in America, that having

a baby is to be possessed by the devil?!  I see.  Then it's

time to open up all our borders to whatever eager-to-be-mothers

wish to enter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



bb
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I do not know this book.  I do not read Ann Rice.  But I do know that Ann Rice writes about vampires, so I'm fairly certain that this passage has nothing in common with normal pregnancy.  I suspect that the woman in the passage was rejecting even the idea of a baby with this man, who is probably a vampire, and was aghast to be informed by him that she was carrying a child.  You overreact when you equate it to your own situation.

~~Silk

Anonymous said...

h