Sunday, June 25, 2006

The 1926 novel THE SUN ALSO RISES

There are cabals, ugly groups, on message board sites and even scattered through AOL Journals (The real conspiracies are no doubt hidden in closed journals, groups for example who'd really like, no kidding, to assassinate personnas non-grata, such for example the brave and desirable MS Coulter) that give themselves away, for example, by being made up mostly of only one gender, and en masse, for example, will sneer at Hemingway's innocent novel of 1926 (heck, ages and ages ago!@!) The Sun Also Rises, made into, in 1956, an atrocious full color expensive junk movie starring non-actress Ava Gardner (a walking man trap most dangerous, and doubtless most disappointing when horizontal.)


Having reread The Sun Also Rises I'm ready to go to war with those who declare the negatives they find in the book, things such as the villain is Jewish, and the narrator confesses his prayer in which he expresses sorrow that he's a "rotten Catholic." The novel's glory is that it's private!  In America, no kidding, real notions of privacy are dead, dead long ago in the arts.  (Exception, the recent movie CRASH.)  Notice, on message boards and in Journals there's almost zip that's private. You don't, as a result, find many Nobel Laureates in those environs, or even speakers of personal truths that aren't cliches, and even those are unfelt. Symptom: plethoras of someone else's graphics! Emotions borrowed and unfelt. 


Barry


warming up, getting in shape.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I liked the book. There`s many books I don`t like or won`t read, so I just move on!
have a great day-
Penny
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

Penny, I've had a longstanding struggle
with modern day Feminists on the subject
of Hemingway. To further get a handle on
all kinds of Hemingway bashing, I'm about
to read a biography of one of Hemingway's
wives, Martha Gellhorn. One specific gripe
I have is that Hemingway's short story
The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
is virtually a feminist tract! It 'preaches,'
'Wives, do not seek your self-esteem in the
accomplishemnts of your husband.'  

- Barry
So tell me Penny, what is the novel under
discussion, The Sun Also Rises, really about,
hmmmmm??

Anonymous said...

My gripe: those who think the author,
Hemingway, denigrates women. He
does the opposite!!

Barry

Anonymous said...

Errrmmmm.....do i comment or not?I think not because at the best of times,but mostly at the worst of times,I dont know what the hell im talking about lol,keep putting the world to rights and by all means write a novel on me...I am novel after all xxzoexx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

Oh I dont think Im suspicious of Americans,I dont discuss art parse as I dont feel I can contribute a valid opinion,however art is in the eye of the beholder,as far as drawn art is concerned,my graphic art is taken by permission from little known artists and I bring it to all to show their unique talent,I myself love to draw animal art,mainly birds in flight,the written word is fascinating to me,however alas as the years have passed,I have not been able to continue my reading with the passion I once did,lately I have found modern writers to be pretentious and opinionated to the extreme,so In a quiet moment I can be found reading 'Dickens',its safer lol,me being british and all,I always take the safe option,touche!

Anonymous said...

< "In a quiet moment I can be found reading 'Dickens',its safer lol,me being british and all,I always take the safe option, touche!" >                 -  Zoe

Zoe, Dickens is the greatest novelist of all time.
Period.  Dostoevsky said, "Dickens is my master!"

Barry (Thanks for your blog visit!)