Sunday, July 2, 2006

RACE

Several times my posts that had anything whatsoever to do with Race were completely ignored. (Of course my journal on some other subjects were frequently almost ignored, ha!) For example, apparently not a soul who has an AOL Journal has seen, or if seen will discuss, the Best Picture, Oscar for 2005, CRASH.  I consider it the best movie I've ever seen. So I hope you can understand my resultant feelings of dislocation. My all time favorite movie cannot even be discussed?!? My children, ages 4, 5, 11, ask frequently to see the movie again. They are children of an interracial couple! They know some of the lines, can remember the names of the characters, and recall scenes, especially scenes with police, weeks after the last time we screened the movie.


With that in mind I can hardly expect anyone to pay the slightest bit of attention to my ruminations of the subject of the Orenthal James Simpson double murder trial. I'm about to conclude the book Without a Doubt by Marcia Clark, with Teresa Carpenter. Recently I read two other books on the same subject, In Contempt by Christopher Darden, with Jess Walter, as well as Madame Foreman A Rush to Judgment? by three jurors Amanda Cooley, Connie Bess, and Marsha Rubin-Jackson. as told to Tom Byrnes.


In sum the three books together prove that OJ (aka 'The Juice') Simpson was guilty, and the murder trial failed to convict him because of machinations springing from considerations of Race. The trial took place in Downtown Los Angeles, where the potential jury pool was made up of a majority African Americans. The subsequent civil trial reached a conviction because that trial was held in Santa Monica, about 15 miles away on the Pacific Coast where it was easier for both sides to find a jury equally black and white. The convicting jury downtown was made up of eight Black women and four jurors white and Hispanic.


The moment I learned the makeup of the acquital jury, of which I was ignorant during the actual trial, I could immediately understand the not guilty verdict. Black women are brought up to defend their man. I learned that years agowhile researching for an interracial play I was writing. I read Black Rage written by two Black psychiatrists. Black Mothers know their daughters will have far less trouble finding a job than will their sons. Knowing just that much, plus the makeup of the jury, and I'd have been certain from day one that OJ would get off. Black women on the jury were insulted that the co-Prosecutor Christopher Darden was Black: they smelled out that he was a 'token' Black man chosen only to cynically endear the prosecution to that jury. It didn't, it alienated them.


                          


                             End of Part One


Barry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry, I can hardly wait for PART 11. Seriously. Did you follow much of the trial when it was going on? I remember thinking that the Roman circuses (sic?) could barely hold a candle to what I was watching. And my Black friends here in the neighborhood saying, "Lord, that man is so guilty!" And a few comments about that poor young kid being used whenever Chris Darden got a few words in. What a piece of History that trial was. And how stock in Tylenol went up. Or should have, we certainly scarfed enough of it down during that time.
PS

If it will get me off the hook, I haven't seen ANY of the Oscar nominated films. Listened to opinions, wrote to you about one, but never paid for seeing any. Does that put me in the ignoramous group? Please say no!

Anonymous said...

I gave you my opinion on the movie Crash and I still stand firm to what I said about it.

As for the OJ trial! I did not follow it too closely but I always heard from many other people of different colors that he is guilty. I do believe so too. That he got off is short of .... I can't seem to find the right word.. but it is not right that he got free. From what little I saw and heard, I think he did it and should have been jailed for life for it.

I don't look at who or what movie got best picture or what-not. If I like a movie I watch it, if not I don't. What matters to me about a movie is the story. Maybe who plays in the movie. But the story gets me all the time. I like to be able to follow the story-line and like to think that some of it is possible or could be reality?
I just hate to guess what every scene is about.
Well there you have my point of view. LOL!
BEA

Anonymous said...

I am so out of the loop when it comes to movies, so I can`t comment on CRASH. ( but can we still be friends? )
I always thought OJ was guilty, no surprise there.

Penny
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

Very few of our children are NOT the product of interracial coupling.  Take my son, for instance.  I'm smart.  My ex was an idiot.  Is that what you're talking about?

But seriously, I'm as white as white can be.  Good, strong, sturdy, blonde, breeding stock.  My ex is still an idiot.