Friday, June 9, 2006

Bombing London 1940

The Only way to fit


my entry into AOL's


space is to squeeze


tight making the column


long.


 


I HATE AOL


 


 


PBS is showing tonight a documentary


about the bombing of London by


Germany in 1940. My father's family


was bombed out five times during WW2.


When I met my Uncle Eric in London,


decades ago, I must have been too shy


to bring up that subject. My father,


being reticent, told me little to


nothing, in Australia,  about his


family in London. So meeting Eric


was almost literally meeting a total


stranger. He told me he processed


his own film, but he took no photos.


It was dark. I   took  some photos


without flash and the pictures were


bad, color-distorted. He seemed a


bit miffed I had a good camera. To


Americans the English, sorry    Brits, 


seem inordinately preoccupied with


social and money status.  For example,


Erick may very well have been


scandalized that a total stranger


would enter his house and start


taking pictures, even if it was only


after an elaborate request, and


putting the camera on self-timer.


Erick's wife was spectacularly


beautiful. So lacking any kind of


information I secretly made up


that my father lost his girl friend


to his younger brother,  so fled in


shame to Australia, self-transported


so to speak.


The 1940 bombing of London by Hitler


was avenged pretty soon after by the 


RAF incinerating of the East German


city of Dresden, where more people


died than died at Hiroshima.


Vengeance is bad, and the seeking


of vengeance a sin, to be regretted,


but it is oh so human, and it might


not vanish in the immediate future.


The best footage of the 1940 bombing


of London was assembled by the


director of the first Beattle movie.


I met him, and worked for him, on


a British TV commercial in Jamaica. 


I mentioned his documentary, but in


doing so I must have made a faux pas.


He froze.  The commercial we shot


was for After Eight, a dinner mint. 


By happenstance we shot in Jamaica


while the Queen was visiting.  I noticed


she had an enormous Yacht at the time, a


vessel later given up. Austerity?


Barry


 


 


 


 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry just to let you know I always read your entries ~ sometimes not quite sure how to comment on them ~ just to let you know I do drop by ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Ally, thanks again for all your kind
communications.

Barry

Shhh, come closer: don't you thnk it's
slightly strange that so many Online
come from lots of different countries,
yet NEVER get into cross-cultural
discussions?!   - bb3

Anonymous said...

If only we could back and retrieve those missed moments (Uncle Eric).  

Anonymous said...

Trouble though, is that life can be
or seem extraordinarily short, making
'Take Two' impossible. But yes, I get your
drift.  Thanks Ladee.....

Barry

Anonymous said...

Are we british so pre-ocupied with money and status?I dont know about that,I never see anything like that at ascot whilst hob-nobbing with the queen,lizzy as she is known to me,however I did drop a hint about my impending title of duchess of blackpool,but she just smiled and said 'oh'yes',i think shes going deaf,however i will approach her again when I have recovered from my triple boob job,lyposuction and face-lift operations,i might just go to kensington for the day and have a late luncheon with the prince of wales,i hear he knows many dirty jokes and i can post them on my site,toodle pip old chum,zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry, I too read your comments but reply to a few.
I like the way you write and some of the interesting things you have done.
Some people just don't believe all they hear or read about because they just cannot phantom that some people had the chance to do what they did.
I know this for a fact, because when I mention meeting some well known people
in my life, they do not believe me either. Or that I was at varies places.
OH-well, I know what I did and you know what you did, and that is all what counts.
BEA

Anonymous said...

I think I have it!  Yes! Zoe
is Liza Doolittle!  Wow!
Liza too bit that hand that fed her,
ha ha ha ha ha ha.....

Barry