Wednesday, June 14, 2006

".... I cannot relate or even insult people, who have lost partners in such horrific times; neither can I understand the inevitable critisisms of those who haven't lost someone to terrorism.  I must admit the world always sounds shocked when these things happen."       - Zoe


When I first read this I had to wholeheartedly agree. I still agree, but with a codicil. Sometimes sudden death from disease, an often deadly disease such as polio for example, can have a somewhat similar impact. When my mother died in an iron lung only months after the first onslaught of the virus, my entire family went nuts. What had seemed either stolidly Catholic, or Protestant, well-off, stable, and content, simply came apart. I still plan to make fiction out of what happened. I say fiction because that's what I want to do, and also because I can't, and have no wish to prove the truth of what happened.
My youngest brother, who was only five (ONLY FIVE !) when his mother 'vanished' won't even speak to me today because I leaked to him some of what I believe happened. For him the mere thought is too horrific to contemplate.


America contracted a deadly disease that slaughtered over three thousand people on a clear, sunny day, out of the blue. Of course people are still in a temper about it, of course!!!!


Barry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew the whole story.  Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

"I wish I knew the whole story.  Hmmm."

Comment from ladeeoftheworld -

You see, I don't know the full story either.
Understand too, please, that I've learned
that in fiction, as in life, plot is not only where
'it's at.'  The novel I've most recently read,
the 1926 published Hemingway novel,
The Sun Also Rises virtually has no plot. So,
I ask, if it has no plot why do so mny modern
women hate it so much? At some later time
I plan to analyse Hemingway's late-published
novel Across the River and Into The Trees, is
just about the same novel as Hemingway's
first novel: a silent examinatiion of a the emotional
life of a war-damaged soldier. In these days of
large numbers of war damaged soldiers I declare the
subject is always germain.

In life we are all more or less 'war damaged,' but
we have a very hard time communicating on the subject.

Barry