Monday, June 12, 2006

Ann Coulter & 9/11 Widows

Media writer and frequent political panel show


guest, Ann Coulter, has published a book mocking


the women who lost their husbands in the Twin


Towers on  9/11. Boycotts of the book are being


organized. The widows are striking back, verbally,


and as  far as I know might sue her as well. What


Coulter says is that the women are enjoying their


husband's deaths: the women were compensated


for the loss of their husbands with millions of


dollars.


 


There is no case to be proved here. All that's


left to do is characterize both sides, and to


characterize Ann Coulter.  Indirectly, and


contrary to intention, the brouhaha inadvertently


flatters and even praises the Arabs who gave


their lives to further their religion and their say


in world affairs.  No matter what note of righteous


indignation is struck the incontrovertible fact is


that levelling the Twin Towers was a brilliant


military maneouver.  Most people conveniently


forget that there had been a rehearsal some years


(seven or eight) before, when a cellar explosion


in the towers failed to get the job done.  The cleric


who organized and inspired that terrorist attempt


was recently found guilty and sentenced, I think, to


death. 


 


The pain of the relatives of the dead is incalculable.


Given that the government might have been


negligent in protecting the buildings, giving


compensation to the widows does make sense.


There were children to be provided for in the


absence of their father. I don't know what Coulter


says about women, mothers who lost their lives:


odd that she picks on the widows, or that


commentators haven't brought that up yet.


 


What's next? What massacre? What useless


bombing else? A terrorist dies, and another pops


up only days later. We seem on some days to


live in the Age of Horrors. Two enormous, neon


ignited signs festooned the freeway today: "Child


abducted..." followed by the year and make and


license plate number of a suspect kidnapper's


vehicle. Ann Coulter might have us believe the car


was driven by the child's mother frantic to leave 


her abusive husband. But could ALL the husbands


in the Twin Towers who died have been abusers?


 


Barry  


 


 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One day Barry Ann Coulter will have to face her maker ~ wonder where he'll tell her to go !!!!  Ally

Anonymous said...

Being a woman, and a mother, and a widow
(may God comfort you) you have a strong
justification for immediately seeing the cruel
selfishness and vanity behind Ann Coulter's angry
book. I confess I was willing to take Colter's
attempt at satire as the job of a writer to probe
and challenge. On a private level let me add that
writing such as Colter's may overlook, or see
as someone's fantasy, that many, perhaps all good
wife/husband bonds cannot be duplicated.
Such I believe is often the case if the couple married
young and the partner was shockingly snatched
away much later by death. My father lost my mother when
he was 41 and I was 14. He never remarried. He
nerer recovered from the loss.  So men too, perhaps
less often than do women, marry once, and for
life.

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Barry! Noticed your mood was " humorous". And why not? Ann Coulter? What a genius at marketing the she-devil is! Let us give credit where credit is due. With the physical packing she is able to present, it is pleasant to mute the t.v. and watch her rant about. Interruptions not accepted, of course. We tend to think of such sociopathic appearances on the literary circuit as those of Charles Manson. Not always so. Will I buy her book? Lord, no. But I may borrow it from my good christian neighbor, just so I know what I am grinding my teeth over. I have a need to know what the other side is so enamored about. I can stay one notch above her and play fair! (Without depleting my check book and adding to hers.)

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is fun to watch such an eye-appealing
young woman media figure as Ann Coulter
doing her number. I have at least some respect
for those who speak the unutterable. Bashing
those bereft widows, however, is cruel beyond all reason.
It's so crazy, could Coulter really have something quite
different in mind? She has to tell us; I'm not going
to play guessing game. (As much as I might like to
in an amateur sleuthing way.) Loved your forthright,
plain speaking post. Don't forget me!!   Ha ha ha ha....

Barry

Anonymous said...

We welcome views from both sides of an arguement dont we?Then people just complain if one persons view doesnt conform,I have no opinon either way,not because I cannot be bothered,but because i cannot relate or even insult people,to who have lost partners in such horrific times,neither can I understand the inevitable critisisms of those who havent lost someone to terrorism,i must admit the world always sounds shocked when these things happen,but as has been proven,Oliver north and certainly my uncle,had forewarned of such events,as did many others 'in the know',yet nothing was done to prevent or prepare,it was just left because of the arrogance of men who believed they were impervious and their country was inpenitrable,oh how we learn the hard lessons first.xxzoexx.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

".... I cannot relate or even insult people, who have lost partners in such horrific times; neither can I understand the inevitable critisisms of those who haven't lost someone to terrorism.  I must admit the world always sounds shocked when these things happen."       - Zoe

When I first read this I had to wholeheartedly agree. I still
agree, but with a codicil. Sometimes sudden death from disease, an often deadly disease such as polio for example, can have a somewhat similar impact. When my mother died in an iron lung only months after the first onslaught of the virus, my
entire family went nuts. What had seemed either stolidly Catholic, or Protestant, well-off, stable, and content, simply came apart. I still plan to make fiction out of what happened. I say fiction because that's what I want to do, and also because I can't, and have no wish to prove the truth of what happened.
My youngest brother, who was only five (ONLY FIVE !) when
his mother 'vanished' won't even speak to me today because
I leaked to him some of what I believe happened. For him the mere thought is too horrific to contemplate.

America contracted a deadly disease that slaughtered over
three thousand people on a clear, sunny day, out of the blue.
Of course people are still in a temper about it, of course!!!!

Barry