Friday, January 27, 2006

Politicians as Celebrities

Just this second I noticed "Spell Check" on this window, the composition window before hitting SAVE, and to the right) before I'd written a word I clicked on it: "You have perfect spelling" it replied. Well there you have it: I don't have to type another word, I'm perfect, vote for me before I say something and ruin everything. That's what all politicians, the ones who are successful, strive to do, say nothing so they'll be perfect.


Yesterday I almost posted an appraisal of President Bush's demeanor during his long press conference; I was going to expound on his finally perfecting his 'Good Ol' Boy' media personna, which seems to this old man borrowed from WW2, GI as lovable humorist that perhaps came from his father, and is astonishingly effective, or at least was with the press yesterday. Also yesterday the LA Times Op Ed page carried the scurrilous, destructive essay titled (by someone NOT running for office but who obviously wants to have a big say in who advances their political career, their 'celebrity-hood') "Many Faces of Hillary - None a Winner." The writing is as contentless as the sour rantings of wot's-his-face on American Idol, the most popular one who satisfies our lust that they all be lousy so we out here in Consumerland won't feel so nondescript and unpopular because invisible. What that mean, fat oaf does on American Idol is merely talk not singing technique - he knows zilch about performing - but merely degrees of this manner or that manner of presenting oneself. His message is carried via his attitude, not his knowledge: I promise you he knows nothing of value. That is, not a soul ever did or ever will perform better via following his advice. There is no advice: in sum it's strictly as if his temper is solely derived from how his digestion handled whatever heaping serving he last ate. Shame on America for falling for that sadistic act. America deserves the politicians it ends up with.


When the Prime Minister of Pakistan spoke to the press while sitting with President Bush, on another occasion, I was thunderstruck by how dignified and convincing he was in comparison with our, American, carnival barker con men who work us as politicians in America. I wonder where on earth he got his fine speech, his humility and graciousness? Then I remembered: Pakistan used to be part of India, then finally separated when Muslim Pakistan could never get along with Hindu India, not even under enlightened British rule. The Prime Minister, with his excellent speech, probably went to school and university in England where serving has always been taught as a privilege, not a disgrace. When he thanked us for the money we gave Pakistan to help with relief from earthquake devastation, wow, I felt really, really thanked.


Barry


 


 


 


 


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never used spellcheck...so do not know if I am perfect, but I think I must be - thats what I keep telling myself  lol.....I am glad to say I do not understand politics...but I am sure you must be right in what you say - as you are perfect........lol.....Ally

Anonymous said...

How sweet of you to leave an amusing Comment
even though politics is not your meal. Perhaps I
should have included in my entry that I look at
all media figures, especially politicians, with the eyes
of an actor. Before the press the other day, GW gave
a pretty good performance. That in no way, my appraisal,
means to imply any judgment about the man's
politics. (Thanks!)

Barry