Friday, January 13, 2006

Bringing Up Baby

One of us, someone with a blog, made an entry recently about the difficulty of raising children. I made a mental note to reply - it's a subject I'm immersed in, having three young children - but now I can't find the entry. So, I'll reply simply in total agreement.


Of my three children from my present marriage the most volatile (I'll avoid the word 'problematic') is the three year old almost four. He's a treat, and a trick. He has almost indestructable toys, such as a bicycle with training wheels, but most of the others he dismantles; he took apart two 99 cent flashlights PDQ (pretty damn quick) I bought him today before the sun set. I'll do what I usually do, get the same 99 cent packet of two tomorrow and use the first packet for parts. I did the same thing with a 99 cent helicopter that actually flies. China spoils us. The helicopter takes off when you pull the string rotating the three blades. But upon crashing something or other nearly always breaks, and if it doesn't he flies it into a brick wall on purpose. So I buy a lot of Krazy glue and use the irreparably broken one for parts.


I'm ashamed to admit he picks up and uses all the foul language, and directs it toward his mother, who is always blameless of his charges, language that he has learned from, you guessed it, his foul-mouthed father. If I punish him, even if I threaten to punish him, he gets back at me by piteously pleading soon after, with "Can I have some food?" He pulls a face quivering so wind-struck a lake of tears seem about to fall. It's blackmail pure and simple. The boy is a genius and doubtless will rule a kingdom somewhere rich. Believe me he is thoroughly fed food food food, all day long if he demands it. His mother spoon feeds him to make absolutely certain he is fed fed fed. But seeing how important it is to us that he be well fed, he tortures us by putting on his 'When are you gonna feed me?' act. This boy will rule in hell. Nah, God's in his pocket.


Barry


 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are raising a clone of my child......lol.........I survived.......so will you...

Anonymous said...

Whew, thanks, I needed that reassurance.
LOL. Abstractly I know the perpetual testing
of the limits, of toy's construction and parent
temper, is a good sign of energy and curiosity,
but in the meantime we parents have to suck it
up and endure till one day the good stuff materializes.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of kids; wait until that child gets to be a teen :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Been there.  Isn't it a shock when you finally realize that you are NOT in control?  lol  Just wait until the teen years, when the real fun begins ( not trying to scare you or anything.)  Oh, That's right ... you've already been through that.  Nevermind.  Tina   http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

..children and toys are in plenty amounts all over the same.
The willingness of children, not only boys but also girls, love to destruct toys, and thanks to China, we are able to buy more than plenty of these toys.
My youngest, now 9, has gone through three beds, three dressers, two TV, so many toy boxes I can't even count them any more and plenty of toys. I keep calling her lovingly my termite.

Teens, oh well, I am not scared, just terrified, LOL!
BEA

Anonymous said...

LOL, smart boy, and a resourceful Dad. That's a working combo...


Good luck!

Jimmy