Monday, January 23, 2006

My Screenwriter's Cafe Message Board Post - Improved

That damn movie (Brokeback Mountain) is full of dramatic lies, and technical phoniness. I haven't seen such too-obvious rear screen projection since that Garbo movie that had scenes of New York's waterfront, Anna Christie, whatever.

These groundbreaking movie makers expect me to take those would-be "Cowboys" seriously, and with sympathy!? (Actually they herd sheep a fact I'm surprised
the trolls haven't gleefully pointed out; but I get it: since they are also gay, the bold lovers get a pass. Prejudice is all, ha ha ha ha.)

When the "Cowboys" kiss in the alley where they can be seen by the shocked-out-of-her-gourd, sweet, loving, faithful
wife they totally lost me. I'm expected to find such lying heroes sympathetic?! Gimme a break! Come Oscar time if anyone connected to that movie wins an Oscar I'll lose all hope for Hollywood and take up attacking Hollywood bigtime, pamphleteering. I'll have readers to help with spelling etcetera, ha ha ha!

The hero (is that Spiderman? the actor?) has lesions that quick, coy, cut-away shots reveal, from which we are required to deduce he did not catch (The Virus, HIV) in America, oh no no no, he caught the virus in
 Mexico where, as everyone knows, not a soul wears a condom.

Then there's those flash cuts of the 'hero' being murdered by a vengeful bunch of real cowboys, ha ha ha ha ha ha.
You think I'm making this up!? No no, you just watched the movie through prejudiced eyes. Grow up! Wake up!

Then there's the all-too-anticipatable hatred of women. The lovely, expressive, seductive, to-die-for woman in the bar, marries the gay man and becomes this tight-lipped, censorious bitch of an accountant for her rich father who screws up Thanksgiving dinner. She's been made up and directed to look and behave disgustingly. Where's continuity of character? As character development it's completely unbelievable.


What's this, an advertisement for male gayness?The movie sucks! My wife said it was the worst movie she'd ever seen. After the ready-to-orgy male lovers are seen kissing in the alley, early in the movie, I was ready-to-leave, hissing the whole way out of the theater. Attendance was mighty sparse by-the-way; by Oscar voting time this movie will be dead in the water by boxoffice measures, unless, that is, Glendale CA is simply too Christian (and therefore not overly 'forgiving') to be real.

Munich, by contrast, is for grownups.   Barry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting review. I have mixed feelings about seeing the movie; not so much because of content, just don't know if I want to take the time or not right now to see it. Might wait for it to come out on video; a lot more inexpensive that way especially if I don't like it.

betty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback!

If you do see the movie please
give me, either by Comment or email,
your experience watching Brokeback
Mountain. And if you go with someone
please tell me what they said afterwards.

Barry