Sunday, January 22, 2006

Packin' 'em In

On Friday the American Government gave my wife a USA flag at the Montebello country club. There were 899 other recipients of a small, cute flag. There were three such ceremonies that day, totaling about 2,700 new USA citizens on that one day.  A short film of GW was shown. Not a soul hissed. The top five groups of new citizens were announced: #5 was El Salvador, #2 was Philippines (including my wife) and #1 was Mexico, which was no surprise. The rest I don't remember. Standing in line as 'family' the couple next to us was Korean. I chatted briefly to help kill time while waiting hours in the sun, even showing off my one and only Korean sentence: 'Un young hee choo moo shush um nika?' Instantly the USA citizen 'Korean' lady repeated what I'd said, but in English: "Did you get a good rest last night?" They didn't thank me for saving them from the North Koreans. Well, that's alright. It was a holiday really, for me, as a 'scrub nurse' at the 25th Station Hospital near Taegu.


The flag is stuck up high now at home, high enough to discourage the little monster citizens from shredding it and breaking the stick it came on.


Barry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your wife!  (She now probably knows more American history and government than the average high school graduate.)  Pass along a hug from me.

~~Silk

Anonymous said...

Wow....you must be so proud of her!

Anonymous said...

Great story Barry and congrats to your wife.
I have not taken that big step but am thinking of it if I ever get in the future enough money for paying that step of becoming a citizen.
Who would've known that it costs that much to become an American?

BEA

Anonymous said...

congrats to your wife!

betty