Friday, August 26, 2005

Single Childless and Dead

My newspaper reports that the "largest segment of the population" is from households single and childless. The LA Times says it's quoting figures just released from the 2000 census. (Today, five years later, that figure must be even greater.)


If that's true, then there can be no mystery about the woman picketing GW in Texas is/was the dead soldier's mother, not his wife. There's a shortage of soldiers. My goodness, how about that? Volunteers? Anyone? Come on, men and women wanted. Women today can fly jets into battle. The thrill! Dead men at the press of a button. I served in Korea. I'm damned if I can remember if, at night, on guard duty (even though I was a scrub nurse, MOS 1835 at the 25th Station Hospital, Taegu, Korea) alone, my rifle, my "weapon" was loaded? Bothers me. At Camp Pickett, VA (now vanished I believe) I was on guard duty at the PX, at night, and my weapon was not loaded. See? Soldiering is easy.


It used to be that for every soldier on the front line, there were five other soldiers in support. But of course in the present wars there virtually is no 'front line.'


So, I guess, the majority of bloggers, and chat people, and message board Members, are single and childless. A very popular Blogger, right here in AOL City, mentioned she had a "Mister-in-the wings" and was astonished, I believe, and just possibly slightly annoyed, that she got so many emails of enquiry (or surprise) about a date with this guy that only resulted in both falling asleep in front of the TV. All my posts, therefore, about sex have been a huge waste of time. I imagined I was writing for and being read by married people with children. ALL, I believe, the kind people men and women (mostly women) who have left a comment are virtually all married with children. I don't know how to talk to single, childless people from the majority of households in America. Boo hoo!


Apparently my most successful entry was mine on Father's Day posted in June 2005. I have no proof, but I suspect and even hope, my estranged daughter, now in her 30s, telephoned me after about 15 years of silence, partly in response to my Father's Day entry. The call was completely out of the blue. The single most dramatic moment in the conversation was when she said, with some ardor, that she wished she was married.


For those wanting to get married let me please recommend the superb book On The Way To The Wedding by Linda Schierse Leonard. Here's a free tip: sex in marriage is infinitely more powerful than that resulting from a date in front of the TV.


Barry


 


 


 


 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

----So, I guess, the majority of bloggers, and chat people, and message board Members, are single and childless.----

I'm a happily married blogger with 4 children, but I'm not interested in discussing my sex life with a complete stranger on line.  Especially a male stranger.  If you want replies to your blog, pick more appropriate subjects.
SaraJ

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I'm a happily married blogger with 4 children, but I'm not interested in discussing my sex life with a complete stranger on line.  Especially a male stranger.  If you want replies to your blog, pick more appropriate subjects.
SaraJ

Replies to my blog are certainly very nice to recieve,
and thanks heartily for yours, but getting replies is
not my primary motive. Social commentary is part of
my motive, and will play a role in the novel I'm writing.
But, to be candid, I do weigh all the time the merits pro
and con of writing about various subjects. So I thank
you very much for your kind caution.
Barry

Hello old friend,
                      I would like to add my two cents worth on this one. I know you wont mind, LOL.
I don't care who reads what, and who replies to what. I started a journal and the only time I got a reply was when I put the link on the message board I visited.
I am glad to have found your blog, to be able to reply to your entries, when I have to say something worthy or not.
First it gives you the knowledge that some one is reading your blog, second, any remark is a good one even if it is bad. KWIM? ( know what I mean)
It helps to see, if others think on that line or are open to discuss the blog.

I find your entries rather interesting and entertaining.
You have a unique way of writing and seeing things which appeals to me.
Any one has the right to read and or reply or not to do it at all.

As to talk about sex, hey as long as it is not revealing specifics and it stays in a general way, why not talk about it, right?

Anyhow, I like your blogs and don't worry about who reads them.
BTW, I would not been as polite as you have been.

Keep blogging my friend.

BEA

Anonymous said...

>I don't care who reads what, and who replies to what. I started a journal and the only time I got a reply was when I put the link on the message board I visited.
I am glad to have found your blog, to be able to reply to your entries, when I have to say something worthy or not.
First it gives you the knowledge that some one is reading your blog, second, any remark is a good one even if it is bad. KWIM? ( know what I mean)

From: Beanone12

You bet!! Thanks a million Bea. You have carte blanche with me
via any and all routes! Ha!     - Barry, at your service.

Anonymous said...

I think that's the biggest trick, write for yourself, because really - what the rest of us thing honestly doesn't matter in the long run.

Anonymous said...

>I think that's the biggest trick, write for yourself, because really - what the rest of us think honestly doesn't matter in the long run.
Comment from pixiedustnme - 8/27/05 3:41 PM

Writing for agreement, or writing for 'ourselves' are
different. I think I do both. Still wrestling with that.
Thanks! My opinion is that you also post to make a
difference, which is one of several reasons I read your
interesting journal.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Hello Barry.   I found your journal thru fasttracks journal, to the journal that I just read that I believe was Kelly, the subject being "how many pairs of jeans do you own".     I have read about your life experience being stationed in Korea for the military.  My experience with journals is the writing capabilitys that people like me would never have if it were not for journals.  I have found journals that have such quality stories of interest about peoples lives and experiences.  Good writing is something that to me is so enjoyable.      mark

http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/landscapeartwork
http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/MarksDailyJournal

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark. What is your
geographic location? I will
read, and comment on both
your journals.

Barry