Thursday, September 1, 2005

New Orleans September 2005

As our esteemed "cheerleader" (so tagged by an astute Blogger) JohnM blogged this morning, New Orleans kinda eclipses everything else for the forseeable future. From news clips alone it would seem that by far the largest number of victims of Katrina are Black. What's to be made of that fact (if it's true)?  


I can repeat what a New Orleans resident, an artist and musician, an elderly Black male, said on National Public Radio yesterday. He said he was angry. In fact, he said that the Mississippi River had brought the White Man's refuse to New Orleans for more than two hundred years where it was turned into art and culture. New Orleans, he said, wasn't destroyed by a hurricane, it was slowly destroyed by "neglect." Since the chief instrument of the destruction was broken levees it'd be hard to argue with him.


New Orleans will rise again. Just you wait 'Enry 'Iggins' just you wait. After a suitable period of mourning, and we are in mourning, the subject of New Orleans' future will become hotly, white hotly political. Hillary, or any other Democrat running in '08, will cry out for the complete rebuilding of New Orleans, while the Republicans will intone the wisdom of doing what's 'feasible.' Prediction: guilt and goodness, and hunger for votes, will propel the Democrats to victory. Notice how quiet the Black leaders are for the moment? Ominous, for their enemies.


Here's a little refresher from my own, personal experience in Mobile, Alabama when I was about 20.  Mobile, like a couple of other Gulf States towns and cities, engages in ship building and ship maintenance. As crew on an American flag ore ship we were drydocked for a week or so in Mobile. On the bus going into town I stood in the back of the crowded bus. The driver refused to go on until I came to the front and sat down. I didn't want to.  But the Black passengers wanted me to not make waves, so I came to the front.  Hey, I had not a lick of the pluck of Rosa Parks! Ha!  Even then, for me, a white rube not long from Australia, where I lived from age 3 to age 16, it all seemed kinda stupid. But then I hadn't been conditioned by hundreds of years of ugly prejudice. All through my last two years of HS in San Francisco I went from 947 Green Street, to Lowell High School then on Hayes Street, on a public bus sitting in the back with my left foot on the metal bubble over the left rear wheels. It was a ritual. I smoked a cigarette, secretly. So, on the bus in Mobile I was trying to do what I had always done, just as the bus driver was doing what he'd always done, and the gracious, lovely Black passengers were doing what they'd always done.


Now a hurricane and a broken levee or two has woken us the heck up. Oh, oh, oh, I must, I simply must end this and write to Hillary immediately!  I have a grand scheme of victory for her to get the entire black vote in the South!


May God please bless every victim of the catastrophe no matter their color, religion, or politics.


Barry


 


 


 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

*****From news clips alone it would seem that by far the largest number of victims of Katrina are Black. What's to be made of that fact (if it's true)?  *****

The majority of the people who live in the areas hit are black.  67% of New Orleans is black.  They're poor and didn't have the money needed to get out in time or even own a car to get out in.  Most of the people trying to help them are white.  Your lame attempt to make it a racial thing is just plain ignorance.  

Anonymous said...

*****From news clips alone it would seem that by far the largest number of victims of Katrina are Black. What's to be made of that fact (if it's true)?  *****

The majority of the people who live in the areas hit are black.  67% of New Orleans is black.  They're poor and didn't have the money needed to get out in time or even own a car to get out in.  Most of the people trying to help them are white.  Your lame attempt to make it a racial thing is just plain ignorance.  
Comment from foxtrott928 - 9/2/05 3:29 PM

Excuse me for bardging in here like this, but I like to point out a few things.
OK, we all know that people in New Orleans and other places in that disaster area are poor and or are black.
But Barry did not try to make a racial comment out of it. He simply was wondering if that was the truth or not.
Considering the other aspect which Barry pointed out in this entry. I believe that we will see a far more worse turmult than just the disaster that Katrina left behind.
New Orleans and the other disaster areas, will have a hell of a time to rebuild what they once had. The blacks and the poor and all the other minorities will face the hardest time they could ever imagine happening. The politicians will use it for their campaigns, so that they will prosper.
History can prove my point on this, for after every natural-meteorological catastroph comes a political turbulence which led to more disasters in the human race.
Sorry, Barry, but that guy just hit a nerve in me.
BEA

Anonymous said...

> "Sorry, Barry, but that guy just hit a nerve in me.
BEA."

Thanks Bea. Tonight Jesse Jackson on CNN fired the
first salvo  in the American Presidential campaign.
Usually I stay clear of politics, especially arguments with
that as a subject. But for once I'm utterly  convinced
New Orleans better be put back in place with no time lost
or there'll be the biggest shakeup in american politics since
the collapse of Wallstreet when Variety headlined,
WALL STREET LAYS AN EGG.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Headline, page one, LA Times, Sept 3rd
KATRINA ELICITS SYMPATHY, JEERS WORLDWIDE
Sri Lanka sent us $25,000. In thanks as well as
sympathy, I'm sure.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Now, Saturday afternoon, there's
news of a Black rapper mid-performance
raising funds, blaming Bush for laggard
evacuations etc. and it's not "racial"?
I'm sorry, it definitely is racial. More
flames to extinguish through good works
and honest hearts.

Barry