Sunday, April 3, 2005

Working out

Declaration: I will compete in a USMS (United States Masters Swimming - age divisions) Long Course swim meet (under SPMA, the local, CA., body) on this coming May 8, a Sunday.


For one thing I must prove I'm under certain times in order to be eligible for the Nationals, this year being held in Southern California.  My best event, probably, the one in which I might place, is the 1500 meters freestyle. That's the event at the Athens Olympics where American television broke away in the middle for several commercials. I was horrified, and embarrassed for America. In Australia, swimming nuts, one can be absolutely certain the TV coverage did not break away. And, an Australian won.


Okay, okay, so I'm American. My parents were not.


Today, Sunday, in a public place, a crowded laundromat to which I drive some miles for their huge, $6 a load machines-- we have a family of five -- I did my stretching and balancing exercize which I employ before every swim training session. How happy I was, and very surprised, I could balance for minutes on one foot while holding the ankle of my other leg against my buttock, looking straight ahead while standing tall and erect. No shyness, no self-consciousness, no miserable doubts. I'm ready to compete. 


I have a month to get used to, and break in, a new pair of goggles, and a new swim suit. For competition I will use a make of goggles that give good peripheral vision, and don't fog up. (Secret: 'Original' Palmolive dishwashing liquid  poured direcly on all surfaces of the goggles, then thoroughly rinsed, obviates fogging for at least an hour of swimming. Don't ask, I don't know why. I can definitely swim 1500 meters in less than an hour. Less than half an hour also.)


Then there's the question of should I take son Vincent, aged 9, to count laps? (30 in a 50 meter pool.) The mind plays tricks with you so you lose count without help. At the Championships, I guess, never having been in the Nationals, only So. Ca., I'll have to count my own, so I better try it alone for practice. I never practice the actual event. Superstitious. Hey, I'm an amateur.


Thank you for listening to my declaration. I'm not nervous already. I'm not, really. Really.


Barry


 


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you luck - and keep posting your progress!

Anonymous said...

Thanks jaykolb! I'm still trying to learn
cold / hot treatment of muscles. Iceing
is common, and works, but when does one
use hot? One specific disadvantage of age
is that one can't train everyday. The body
says, "No!"      --- Barry