Monday, April 25, 2005

The People vs Larry Flynnt (1996)

Woody Harrelson won an Oscar Nomination for his portrayal of Larry Flynnt in 1996. Am I out of it or what? Harrelson seems to have disappeared. Where is he? 


By accident I stumbled upon his movie, in progress last night around midnight. I had to see the end, when the Supreme Court rules in his favor. That's one heck of a well-done movie. Character acting is Harrelson's forte. He had the slurred speech, the reckless temper, the little boy lonely, the needy genius and aggressive thug-like publisher down pat. Wonderful acting. And, it's impossible not to root for him, regardless of how we feel about smut, censorship or the First amendment.


The writing is very clever. I'd like to know if the legal aspects of the story, liability for defamation, were accurately depicted. I learned recently that the plot of the Stephen Spielberg movie Amistad takes liberties with history. I was stricken. Once again I was bowled over by great acting, this time that of Anthony Hopkins playing Senator John Quincy Adams, so believed the story completely.


Flynnt's magazine, Hustler, published in retaliation for personal criticism by a televangelist, that the latter had had sex with his mother in an outhouse. The story says that the US Supreme Court ruled that Flynnt had the First Amendment right to satirize the preacher in that manner. In the cold light of morning, the day after being overwhelmed by Woody Harrelson's acting, and the clever directing, photography, editing and writing, I can't help wondering if Hollywood again pulled a fast one. When people write and post ugly, untrue, vulgar, horrid, spiteful, sadistic, defamatory, cruel, threatening and invented untruths about me and my family on message boards I'm stricken further to find out that my tormentors have a First Amendment right to thus malign me and my family. So, my hope actually rests on Hollywood having invented a world of unlimited 'rights.'  It makes good theater though to have the naughty boy get away with bloody blue murder. After all he was confined to a wheelchair after an enraged former fan (?) shot him.


Achievement requires, I'm pretty sure, a certain level of aggression and persistence that sometimes can irritate the people around us. So finding a balance between risky actionand comfortable, hidden or muted activity takes some skill. I either hide, or overreach. I'm trying to find a balance. Still! Ha!


Barry


 


 


 


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhh Barry. I was feeling kinda blue..and said to myself...go read Barry's journal The best of the best, of course!..Sometimes you have me smiling before I have even finished the first few words. and thinking.... Look, don't worry about writing me a thank-you note every time I comment..or ya' might be doing it a heck of a lot in the future! I plan on spending my mornings right here this week..with your journal..and lotsa coffee...my love to you..and your wife and kids....kristlebleu