Monday, April 11, 2005

Seeking Help & Support

If a rich, successful person frequently tells the world, anyone listening that is, that he sees a psychiatrist what might be our first reaction? Mine would probably be that he was wound so tight from having personally made all that money, he needed a safe place to vent. I have in mind a man in his 50's who will soon be making $2,000,000 a week and he's not even a basketball player, ha! I'll reveal who the person is in a minute; perhaps you know, or have already guessed.


The subject, 'seeing a psychiatrist' came to the fore yesterday or the day before because someone posted on a writer's message board that Sigmund Freud was an avowed "Atheist." I had to admit I did not know that. Curiously I was made to feel shame for my ignorance, especially since Freud has always fascinated me. Also, I've been in therapy, and know people I admire who have been psychoanalysed. In spite of Freud's expressions of distaste for religion I retain my great interest in, and admiration for all religions. In theory I believe wholeheartedly that one's relgion would be even more beneficial for a good life and fulfillment if one possessed keen self awareness, a benefit conferred by psychoanalysis and therapy, group, or one-on-one. 


Howard Stern, radio talk show host about to move to satellite radio in about nine months, freely and humorously confides that he sees a psychiatrist. Doting on all forms of self-revelation, even though it gets me in trouble, I applaud Howard for his guts and strong desire to contribute to people's well-being through alleviating their guilt. Sometimes we don't know, we don't know we are miserable. Ha! Every day I strive to say something out loud that is difficult to give voice to.  Why hold it in? Well, to not hurt someone's feelings could be a good reason.


My access has been a little iffy lately so I'd better save this now. Thanks for listening.


Barry    


 


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle at this.  I've known many obviously damaged and unhappy people who have bragged that they have "never had to go to a head doctor, and never will!"  They remind me of people with a mouth full of rotted teeth who brag they've never been to a dentist.