Saturday, February 3, 2007

Finch Reproduction

The kind words from ladeeoftheworld's Comment to the previous ENTRY give me pause. She strongly suggests, at least to me, that Finch eggs rarely hatch - my neighbor's bird, which he gave to me, didn't reproduce from two batches of eggs. Hardly a reasonably large sample, but worth mulling over.


Any suggestions? Should I simply just get over my aversion to incompletions?  Ha ha ha. The current situation, on day three, is that the male sits in the nest during the day (they are together in the nest at night when the cage is covered) for short periods, as well as 'pretending' to line the nest with Pet-Store-supplied material, but he makes the same kind of short visits to the bird seed container. He's nervous? Warming up?


All suggestions welcome.


 


Barry


 


 


 


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never owned a bird, so I can't comment on that too much at all.  Talk dogs, or cats...and we're on the way!  
Good luck!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Check out the wikipedia information on breeding finches. It's specific for the Zebra finch, but I'm sure you could find more about your particular finches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Finch

Bea

Anonymous said...



We had a dog, Tyson, but had to leave him with
close friends when we returned from Oaxaca, Mex.
in 2001. He'd be about nine now. Wow and bowwow
was he something! Bull Terrier.  Bred to hate other
dogs I've read. He lived it, crazy! I'll never forget him.
He did, however, drive me crazy eating poisonous
toads that came up out of the ground. He'd be sick
for a week.  He wanted to be patted about once a week.
Usually I was sitting in the patio when he'd approach
and place his head on my knee, waiting.  Eventually
I'd stroke him and after a few minutes he'd go, not to
return for a pat for a week or so.  It was a deep, trusting
relationship. That's why I left him with my friend who had
space, and other dogs for companionship.

Sorry, I ramble.

Thanks again for the good cheer.

Barry