Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Preview

My long time (1960's to present day) friend in New York, an admirable Irish American Catholic, married to a lovely Italian American Catholic, Dick, aka Richard sent me a little booklet today I didn't know existed. It was published by Catholic Digest, 2006, and is titled


              The Truth About The Da Vinci Code


                       Answers for Catholics


I've just skimmed it casually. It is respectful of every attempt to deal with it's subject matter the claim that Mary Magdalene pregnant with a child via Jesus at the time of the crucifixion, went to France where their daughter gave birth to a line of French Royalty, all of which the Church covered up.


What I like, to be candid, is that this booklet may very well be a complete and satisfying debunking of Dan Brown's incredibly popular mystery novel.


The subject however is so complex it's hard to summarize. As an exercize I will attempt to take the booklet one step further and post in an Entry here what is true to the essence of the booklet, but without the diplomacy and respectful treatment. Then, if anyone is offended, they can retrace my steps, find the booklet from Catholic Digest, and make concrete their opinion.


I know, you may very well wish the whole subject would just go away. "Thinking," it has been pointed out to me, is not popular. Shucks. 


Barry             http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/


 


 


 


 


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Phew! the aol writer's message boards are so anti-Christian
people there fall all over themselves praising Dan Brown's stupid,
dishonest and plagiarized novel. Apparently the book is written
in a way readers are familiar with from Mystery novels in which
suspense plays a large role. The movie version directed by
Ron Howard was that fine director's first flop both at the boxoffice and
failure at Cannes and failure to win awards that matter.

Thanks for your reassurance that I'm not trying to run up a tree.
(I might already be up a tree, but that's another matter. Heh.)

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/