Sunday, May 14, 2006

Eating Out on Mother's Day

Mother's Day climaxed with son Vincent


(10) giving his mother earrings and


necklace. His Mother, ever-gracious,


modest and vastly appreciative of every


boon conferred by life, accepted


Vincent's largesse as if the gifts arrived


from Tiffany's. Later, at the hall mirror,


she tried them on while co-operating


while I took photos. These I'll just have


to put up later to adorn my post. Elsa


doesn't need makeup: that was supplied


at birth. I tell her that and she most


naturally smiles showing her perfect


teeth and oh so healthy-looking pink


gums.


 


The family had brunch at TV Cafe, a


bistro we've frequented as a family for


at least ten years. It's a 24hr Mexican


restaurant in the industrial section of


LA Southeast of Downtown. On Alemeda


that runs past it trolley tracks are still


planted in the roadway from the days


when all of the city featured electric


trolley travel. I found the restaurant


many years ago when in a panic about


running out of gas I got off the freeway


to fill my tank. I've been filling my 'tank'


there ever since. It's a humorous place.


There's a huge copy of a painting of the


inside of the Vatican done by Raphael.


But instead of historical characters in


the 'group' portait there are Rock Stars


and other luminaries. The original


painting was featured in a TV news


story today! about the imminent opening


of the Da Vinci Code.


 


We return to the restaurant quite


frequently because management and


staff are always so exceptionally


welcoming. The locale sure is strange


however. Across the street is a branch


of a men's club (?) spoken of by Howard


Stern when he was on FM radio. He


always called it SCORES, but I think it's


actually called SCORE.


 


Just the other day I had a forgotten


roll of Tri-X film developed, film that


was exposed in 1995. One of the photos


was taken at TV Cafe; there's Vincent


as an infant in the arms of the waitress.


There's my two daughters and a son 


from a previous marriage, with the


youngest daughter, now at Wellesley,


and my present wife smiling her always


beatific smile that is so enrapturing of


everyone she meets.


 


The fun we've had at slightly


disreputable TV Cafe reminds me,


when I think about that odd


phenomenon, of the observation 18th


century intellectual Sam Johnson


offered: "Nothing is more hopeless


than a scheme of merriment." I


wouldn't normally have chosen TV Cafe;


it chose me. Ha ha ha. It's a fitting


addition to mention that it was Dr.


Johnson who invented the word


"TIPS" = "To Insure Prompt Service."


Yes, I've tipped over the years, but


everyone has had fun, everyone. This


Mother's Day will be a day to remember.


Barry


P.S. "Disreputable" might sound unmerited,


but let me tell you that at night there is an


armed guard. We've seen unrepaired bullet


holes in the huge glass windows.  Lol!


Often luck is better than "schemes."


 


 


 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh........I love a disreputable restaurant.  Funky, off the beaten track,  a little quirky perhaps.........I love 'em.  Sounds like you made more memories today!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh yes! Btw, were you born
in France? I bet you speak more
than one language. Americans do
appreciate bistros and other eateries,
but the one they love the most is in
a hotel in NYC that cost $5,000,000
to build, and I think that's just for
the kitchen. I'd like to think the French
never go near it, except some of the chefs
who have their own restaurant back in
France run by their family.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Thanx for leaving your lovely comments on my blog,no im not an actress,or a writer come to that,my thoughts are written from the hip as it were,sarcasm and all lol,I will add you to my fave journals as i find your expressionism refreshing and i feel you have a similar dry wit to me lol,either that or im completely confused about myself or indeed yourself lmao toodles for now xx zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

Zoe:  See what I mean? You sure do
express yourself, and at a pretty deep
level. I've been around actresses a lot,
even married to one (B'way, movies, TV)
and studied acting with actresses Uta Hagen,
Stella Adler, and Paula Strasberg (Lee too of
course.)  If you'd spent a day, one session
of Lee Strasberg's acting class you'd be right
at home, believe me. I can spot it! The willingness
to relax and let 'er rip. That is, at least make a
conscious effort to relax. The miracle of an
actress you have over there, Helen Mirren,
I have no doubt expresses herself in a personal way
in her life as well as onstage.

Thanks for your Comment: made me smile BIG.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Thanx for your comments hun,I felt that such an important event,such as this awful terrorist attack on the pan am flight 103 needed to be made public,purely because of its obvious downplaying by this countrys government,what a terrible thing to do and it makes me ashamed sometimes to see my country allow others to take the blame purely to score points with america.Its not my fight but yeah,wot the hell as they say hun,all the best xxzoexx.
p.s. so..you want to be my agent hun?Or was that my 'agent provacateur'? lmao.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

Thanx for your comment hun on my take on men,I might add its 'my' take not a general concensus and i believe you are a great husband,all be it that youre feet might be smelly,Im sure that has its own charm lol,keep well,xxzoexx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

Youre not slow hun,I just jump in where angels fear to tread with my journal,mind you I get loads of...''Cant you make it bigger??''... if I could do that Id be a very happy bunny indeed lol!!xxzoexx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/