Saturday, December 25, 2004

Fiction writing

Not a soul has been told I write this journal. Yet, I assume, it could be stumbled upon. Okay by me if anyone, or no-one reads it. I notice a huge difference between writing a response to someone's post on a writer's message board, from writing random here. Here, in limbo, with no, or little narrative aim, is more difficult.


The only other writer's journal entries, aol variety, I've read bounce off famous writing of others, which they quote, show a photo of, and in general seem somehwat parasitical. At best they attempt to whip themselves into shape for writing fiction by borrowing strength from other writers. Some journals are used as resume entries, something I find completely inexplicable. The replies to such journal entires read as if they had been paid for. I did learn on a writer's message board that one can indeed pay writers to write glowing reviews of your new, self-published novel. One of my wholly honest, and wholly favorable replies to such a journal, an entry about Willa Cather, novelist, was erased because I gave a real life response instead of what sounded like a rave review, paid for.


So, I'm groping for the best way to use this space, for my purposes. Find out from self-examination, how to continue with my novel in progress.


Barry


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi barry, i find it hard to comment in journals because they are journals, and as such, are rather more personal than message boards.  in my mind, it is a privilege to kind of watch a person talk to themselves in their journal, and i dont have an urge to pass judgment on someone's thoughts and soliloquies.  
however, if you want comments, i'll do my best!