Monday, October 1, 2007

Playing Interviewer

My dear 'Journals' friend ZoePaul sent me some time ago a list of interview questions. For a while there was an 'infectation' (sp? sp? sp? drat! Infestation?) of interviews given, and interviews taken, then, just as suddenly that nice, pleasant and harmless game vanished.  My understanding of the game was that while any and everyone could watch the game, it was pretty much just between Interviewer and interviewee. Having total trust in Zoe I took the interview questions in a spirit of fun and replied in the spirit with which the questions were asked. For example she asked me if a bank robber in his escape dropped a million dollars on my lawn would I return the money to the bank, or, realizing the Bank was insured against robbery, simply keep the money for myself?  I said I'd keep it. Keeping to the spirit of fun, I said I'd drive the money to Canada, then find a way to get the money into a Swiss Bank account. Of course the latter is sheer fantasy and ridiculous.


Not just once, but twice, another blogger, also in England, sent me an email, with the same message that he'd Entered in reply in my journal: that he, proud, rich and totally honorable, would of course, cross his heart and hope to die, would never, ever, keep anything, not even a hanky, that did not belong to him and himself, and he alone.


Such wizz-bang purity seemed like a wiff of Purity imported to USA with the Mayflower. Purity still Lives in MERRY ENGLAND!!!!


I did so feel like a low class, impoverished colonial lout! Fancy, me a thief, and exposed as such while blogging. I'm undone!


Console me, please!


Barry


http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize he sent you an email--thought it was just a comment. G, do you really not see how B couldn't have drawn any other conclusion but that you were trying to cast aspersions (look it up) on his character?  And considering how obviously he was in fantasy mode, how taking it so literally reeked of "thou dost protest too much.?"
I suppose I should care at all, but I'm a Libra--die hard diplomat. I think all such contretemps can be an opportunity to take a look in the mirror before lashing out or getting all hurt.

Anonymous said...

Dear Barry, I think that the key term that you use is "nice, pleasant, and harmless game." I certainly did not view your responses to the interview as indicative of your moral character. As I indicated in G's journal, I think that one drawback of this commenting that we all do is that words on a page don't always convey the clear tone of the writer's intent. I do hope that you and G can mend your broken fences. I took your responses in the spirit of fun with which they were given. Perhaps G simply was giving more serious contemplation as to what he would do if confronted with such a situation and didn't mean to cast aspersions on your character. Personally, I find you to be an adorable lout! I hope that you are not too undone by G's comment and email and that the two of you will be able to re-establish your previous cordial relationship. BTW, I wouldn't take the money if there was any chance of my getting caught; on the other hand, if I thought that I could estrablish an account in the Cayman Islands with none the wiser, well then, call me a thief! I hope that you feel consoled. Your partner in crime, Sheria