Sunday, December 3, 2006

Fatherhood

Online I've repeatedly been called names for siring a child at my age. If I could remember the names of the older gents in the Bible who became fathers I'd reply, but I can't remember for sure. Abraham couldn't have been young when God tested him. I plan to bring up the subject next time I'm at confession: Saint Mary's in East LA near one of the swimming pools I frequent: Father John. He's the good priest who said he wears street clothes on the bus so he won't get dunned for a donation; He's the cleric who gives communion once a year to those not technically eligible.

 

I'm reading Father Greeley's fine novel THE PRIESTLY SINS (2004) about the molestation scandals. Odd to be reading it at exactly the same time the LA Times has daily, long items about the millions still to be paid out to victims. The LA Diocese has "billions," (literally) says the TIMES, but still the Church fears it must sell off some property.  Insurance companies are refusing to pay all, or even most.  Greeley's novel (2004) begins with a courtroom scene in which an informant is being discredited, or rather discredit is being attempted. The point, I believe, in the greater narrative, is that in the beginning the Church went strenously into denial. A nun, now elderly, still a nun, was molested (raped) when she was very young, has just won millions in court, and yet still accuses the Los Angeles chief cleric, Rev. Mahoney (Cardinal?) of continuing to cover up. What a mess! God help us, amen.               

 

Merry Christmas!!!!     (Already?)

Any more news of the US Congress attempting to ban Christmas?                                    

 

Barry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry Barry Barry whens this lovely baby arriving? The booties im knitting look like tights now,(panty hose to you lol)??? all the best and sod the moaners theyre just jealous,you must be good youve got your own critics,jeez lol zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

Barry age is only a number so long as baby is healthy and happy that is all that should matter ~ happy Fatherhood to you ~ I am sure you will make a perfect Daddy again ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Yes, when is the baby due???   The time I checked fatherhood was not a sin.  At any age.

Anonymous said...

h