Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Dream Interpretation

Gee, the software/format has been spruced up. It's as if I'd been away. Nah, just lazy.


I had a dream. Vivid, lifelike. There's a book beside my bed in which I have immediately upon waking written an account of my dream. Last entry, some years ago. Having remembered dreams might accompany being happy.  So, it is good news to me that I had such a lively dream.


Here's how it went. Background: I've swum competitively since I was about ten. I will compete again, Master's Swimming (age divisions) in 2007; I've already sent in my SPMA annual fee. Being underwater, therefor has been a lifelong activity. Example: a few years ago I noticed on the bottom of the pool a pair of swim goggles. That particular day long course lanes (50 meters) were not open so I had to swim short course in the other pool (At the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center, Pasadena) at one end of which is the diving tower under which the pool is 17 feet deep. That's where I saw the goggles on the bottom. To be candid I haven't swum down 17 feet very often in my life. That's a lot of water! It's heavy! But I wanted the goggles! Yes, I kept them, so sue me.


My dream, the other day, was about being underwater. I have not been underwater, except to do freestyle flip turns, for quite some time. My interpretation of my dream is completely separate from being underwater.


I should interject here that I own, was given as a gift by the author, The Psychoanalytic Interpretation of the Dream, By Paul Sloan, MD. Inside the front cover, and inside the back cover, are letters written to me by Doctor Sloan. (I dated his daughter many years ago.) He did me the courtesy of telling me that ANYONE (even an actor! Ha ha) can interpret their dreams. "The only interpretation of a dream that is useful is that of the dreamer"! he wrote to me.


Several days ago, in the middle of the night, I woke having great difficulty in breathing. I went outside and gulped cool night air, and still I felt awful. (I may have taken antagonistic, not to be taken together, supplements and medication. Whatever, I was careless, and thought I could play Superman. It was quite, quite scary.


In the dream I was deep underwater, having fun, but suddenly I knew I could never swim back up to the surface: I was trapped by a great weight. I was terrified.


Interpretation of the dream: In my life I'm trying unsuccessfully to stop from drowning. With the dream as a warning I know I'll be able to ferrret out the actual, complete meaning of my dream, the warning of deadly danger.


Barry


 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope that dream dosn't mean "Deadly Danger" Barry ~ perhaps it means you are trying to fight your way to the top and having difficulty getting there ~ Now about those goggles I distinctly remember losing mine in that very pool so would be happy if you returned them to me LOL ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Barry, have you seen a cardiologist? Seriously. I'm concerned. Sometimes, you best act on your dreams!
Kater

Anonymous said...

Scary dream you had. I hate when that happens!

Penny
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/pennys-pieces-of-ohio/
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/let-the-earth-rejoice/

Anonymous said...

Amazing how vivid some dreams can be.  Sometimes I have dreams that "stay" with me throughout the day as if they really happened.  I used to dream that I could breathe underwater - amazing feeling. Never felt like I couldn't get up, though.  Must have been a scary feeling.  Take care, Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure/

Anonymous said...

Not knowing your age, Barry, it could mean what you think, but I'm with Kater... sometimes dreams are trying to tell us about our health. That  heavy, weighted feeling may have come on as a result of meds, and may be related to heart... wouldn't hurt to check it out. Been to doctor lately? Surely there is something in that book related to health warnings... I love recording my dreams... used to do it when I wasn't working full time. Still dream, but don't record them. I miss doing that. Was one of my favorite hobbies. Dreams have guided my life's decisions since childhood. Take care, Barry. bea

http://beta.journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your concern. As to
what dreams tell the dreamer, or the
informed listener, I go with author
Dr. Paul Sloan's view that the only
useful interpretation is that of the dreamer.

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/