Saturday, November 4, 2006

Theatricality in CRASH




Heaven's Gate! one tries to prime the pump

and a sniper shoots you down. Then a Cracker

shoots you again to make sure you're dead.



In talking about CRASH I intend to talk about

theatricality in a movie, structural devices by

which theatricality is achieved.



Heaven's Gate was so absurdly assembled that

there are a myriad continuity lapses unintended.

Little things such as a pipe held in one hand

was forotten when shooting was resumed and

viola the pipe miraculously had jumped to the

other hand. That lapse was symptomatic of slovenly

workmanship and had nothing to do with the merit

of the story.



CRASH: Christmas is expressed by decorations , and once

suggested is repeated when snow falls, at the end, something

that really truly does happen sometimes in Los Angeles.

Christmas is unexpectedly invoked to alert the viewer

that something pivotal is about to happen, or has

already begun to happen. Ditto the mournful, high pictched,

beautiful woman's voice singing in a foreign language,

recorded in surround sound. The distance of the voice

helps underscore the tragedy of loneliness and neglect.



THE THEME OF OSCAR WINNER BEST PICTURE 2005



Racism is so ever-present in our society, so pervasive,

so poisonous, that actual buying and selling of human

beings still takes place.


I wonder how difficult a 'sell' that was in Hollywood?

I don't know how to interpret the presence of so many

production companies in the credits. I'm only an actor

living on an actor's pension. (Oh, yes, and I just got a

cost-of-living increase from Social Security. Yummy!

I bought extra generic love pills, two kinds, from India

via the Internet.




Barry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for that pension so you can get your love pills!  :)

I`m sure with your background and knowledge, you pick up on these details in the movies much more than someone like myself. Except I rarely watch a movie anyhow. The whole Hollywood scene kind of gags me. Seeing a star in a movie after reading about and seeing on the news the details of their unsettling personal life kind of puts a damper on it for me, plus I`d rather spend my money on other things.
Have a great weekend.
Penny
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/pennys-pieces-of-ohio/

http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/let-the-earth-rejoice/

Anonymous said...

I've upped my time spent analysing
movies to fuel my fantasy of winning the Lottery,
and with about 100 million dollars making
a dynamite, low cost movie stressing great acting and
a story worth a year or two of my remaining life.

For that reason alone I'm most grateful to
Paul Haggis, who I've never met, for his
powerful movie made with no big names and
a comparatively low budget. At first, the ambience
of the movie was so strange I didn't catch on
to how the filmmaker so cleverly made me care.

One reason for the power of the movie is that
it's intellectually healthy, in no way a shock movie,
or horror, or with any other cult-like proccupation
and a narrow audience to appeal to.  The actor's
branch of the Academy must have voted en masse
for Best Picture in hopes of telling Hollywood they
are fed up with schlock acting.

If you can get the DVD give it a peek, please?

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/


Anonymous said...

Hi there hun,sorry ive not been here to comment for a while,my aol and all that,ok lets see if i can address the balance,lol,bear with me i havent had a coffee yet.I have never had an affair in either of my two marriages and it would be lovely to think it was because of some moral high ground that i perch upon,no alas it is because of my fear of rejection and my disjointed view of myself,body wise,my first hubby cheated on me,and to be honest it wasnt the life changing shock i imagined,she was older,crabby and an alcoholic,who would sleep with most men if they bought a bottle,hence her nickname where she lived as "bring a bottle Donna",so i saw that episode as desperation on his part,as i wasnt in love with him anymore and banned physical contact for fear of itchy diseases and the like,i wonder why you have invested in love pills,but im sure it is because you heard that they can make the flowers grow titanically in your garden,lol,is the baby here yet? I have a three year old and discipline is divided into two sections,i tell him not to do a thing,then his dad lets him,lol,to say im flogging a dead horse there is an understatement,lol,all the best xxzoexx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/