Monday, January 17, 2005

M.L.K. Jr

I met Martin Luther King Jr in the men's steam room of the Diplomat Hotel in Miami in 1967. I told him we were going fishing the next day and asked him if he would like to come. He said he had an engagement (the following day was Sunday) but to be sure to ask "Brock."


Brock Peters, the actor and singer (Porgy and Bess, To Kill a Mockingbird) was a member of a film company staying in the hotel. Dr King was fast, fast on his feet, and could survey a situation in a lightning second. I'm glad I asked, and pleased beyond measure that he totally understood my intent so instantaneously.


Really, no kidding, we really should, it's time, it really is time we all went fishing together.


Barry


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.....so much feeling in this post. Yes, it is time we all, white& black "go fishing together".....what a way you have with words....all my love, kristlebleu, from    "kristlebleuangels"