Sunday, March 5, 2006

Payments

Has it ever occurred to you that AOL forces us to pay with borrowed money? What do you feel about that? When you pay by some other method one is charged five dollars per month more. Just to stress the point, everytime we pay for something with a credit card we are paying with borrowed money. Advertising has turned paying with borrowed money into something fashionable, cool, with-it, when in fact it's stupid.


My monthly fee, because I have Adelphia cable broadband is $9.95 but because I have them dip into my bank, cash, not borrowed, AOL charges me $5 more, making a total of, you guessed it, $14.95.  A couple of times I've mailed a                    Postal Money Order which AOL has indeed cashed, but of course I never get a receipt. In fact ever since 1996 AOL has never, ever given me a receipt. AOL is master. AOL demands, extorts subservience. AOL is the universe and we are nothing.


AOL India, AOL Argentina, AOL Virginia USA, AOL South Africa, AOL New York, and AOL Who-Knows-Where else don't talk to each other much. Unlike AOL in North America, AOL in all those other countries at least are civil and sympathetic.


Will a real, viable alternative to AOL ever show up? It is my fervent prayer.


Barry


Every single window in which we type something is flawed. Why do I put up with it?


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why we put up with it; there are so many complaints about it; so many frustrations and yet we stick loyal with it. For me, its too hard to teach an "old dog new tricks".

betty