Friday, May 18, 2007

Sight and Sound

Do you respond to the notion that some music can be "seen"?  Or, phrased another way, is music complimented by being told it's "visible"?  The other day I was startled to see and hear a California Lexus Dealer's TV commercial put forward the idea that seeing a new Lexus was like listening to Beethoven's Chorale (Symphony #9.)  Excerpts played over and under the 'sell.'


Some tired advertsing copy writer must have read, and misunderstood, my journal entries about Symphony #9. I mean how much classical music have you heard played with a TV auto commercial? I think they should have hired me to write their copy. For one thing, a metaphor is stronger than a simile. And how on earth is a Lexus "like" music? It's not never no-how ever like Beethoven, and saying so is like trying to gain favor  by name dropping.  But then it is all too apparent that TV commercials will do anything legal to draw attention to themselves.


What the advertiser got pretty much for free was use of the world's best music without having to pay royalties. The legalities of same are as opaque to me as the mystery of how music is written, rehearsed, heard, and recorded; wouldn't the orchestra have a say about whether their performance could be used to advertise an automobile?! 


I've nothing against Lexus, advertising, or similies.


Just in case that copyrighter reads this again I have a suggestion: find out why an infant won't cry while riding in a Lexus, but will howl its head off trying to sleep while riding in a Mercedes Benz.


Barry


 


 


 


   


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my son was an infant it didn't matter WHAT kind of car we had .....he slept! So can I say that a Ford Pickup is like music to an infants ears? I know that ol' Ford created silence....and it was like music to MY ears!
Pam

Anonymous said...

h