Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Oliver Twist Wasn't Hungry

There's one glaring error in Polanski's new version of Oliver Twist. The children aren't hungry. Polanski has been hungry but he seemed to have forgotten what it is like. I've been hungry. Hunger is insidious in that you get used to it. If suddenly presented with food when truly hungry you slowly nibble at the food as if it were a foreign object. It's as if one had to relearn how to bite, chew, and swallow.


In other words, rehearsals for the acting of the movie didn't include study of human behaviour of hungry boys. Even hungry dogs look around to see if anyone might snatch their food away. Oliver looked too fat. Polanski has been living it easy for too long.


Odd, also, that NY-er critic Lane said the other boys put him up to asking for more, when Oliver thought he was drawing lots, not suspecting they'd cheat.


Barry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should talk about hunger and how one almost forgets how to chew. When I've been on one of my mad diets and starved myself all day (not to be recommended!) my jaw seems almost frozen when I do eat. So well spotted on that front!

Thanks for the comment in my journal. I'll take it as a massive compliment that you think it's good enough to be copied from a book, although Mary Wesley doesn't really write in that style. She's more Aga Sagas - you must surely be thinking of someone else. Perhaps I've missed my vocation and should try and make a million!
Tilly
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/

Anonymous said...

Hi Tilly! It was a mistake on my part to
find an equivalence of writing style between
Mary Wesley and your journal. Since I must read
more of both to be able to make any such
comparison, allow me, please, to be more
general; you both have an independent
point of view on the world, while permitting
everyone else to have theirs. In America that
spirit is rather uncommon,especially in the
hinterlands.

Your journal is a treasure: funny, generous,
full of surprises and deliciously honest.

Also, thanks heaps for your comment.

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/